Review by Murk

"This definitely "caps" off the Gameboy versions of The Legend of Zelda."

As the name of this review would say for you, this is a wicked game. Minish Cap definitely goes beyond the ordinary from the other Zelda games for Gameboy. If you're a big Zelda fan like I am, I can definitely say that you'll love this game from the moment you start playing it. I'll go into more detail in the different parts of this review.

Like most reviews, I'll start with the graphics. As you can see while playing this game, the graphics used were similar to the ones used in previous games such as Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures. This is a good thing, as the cartoon graphics used were what made them all the better. They went well for this game as well. They added to the effect made for the game in terms of characters of old, such as Zelda and Link, and new, such as Ezlo and Vaati. The shading and images were also nicely done, as were the effects made when, say, an enemy died, or a bomb exploded. Nintendo came through for us on this part.

Controls: 9/10

The controls for Minish Cap are similar to the controls in previous Gameboy versions, but there are some new ones as well, such as rolling for the R-button. The usual two-button system is back, but you wouldn't expect any more from a Gameboy or Gameboy Advance, so there'll be no points taken there. The point I am taking off is because you can only use two items at a time, you'll be pausing a lot to switch between items and such, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just have patience.

Music: 10/10

The music from the original games is back and better than ever! The levels themselves even have better music now, as well as the music being brand-new! Most people who are new to this game, but not the series, should like this music, as it is familiar in a lot of cases. Even people who haven't played the series yet (doubtful, but there's sure to be some people who haven't played before) would like the music sooner or later. Some of the music is old and remade, but that is not bad in any way in this case: why change a good thing? The music gets a perfect rating.

On this, I'll admit, the story could have been better. Basically, Zelda was turned to stone by a power-hungry sorcerer, and it was up to Link to find a source of power (namely the Four Sword) to convert her into a human again. In the time they had, they could have added a bit to the storyline to drag it out a bit, given how short the game is anyway. But, the story itself was a bit original, not in terms of the sorcerer, but in terms of the outcome of the first encounter. I won't give any spoilers, but I can say that it is pretty good and explains some stuff to you, so the story gets a 7 out of 10.

Game Play: 10/10

The Game play is one of the best, by far. Almost all of the items of this game are new, such as the Gust Jar and the Cane of Pacci, as well as a surprise return of some old ones, such as the Roc's Cape and the Pegasus Boots. Also, each has a special and unique effect. As always, you have a sword and shield, and you also have the usual dungeons and their bosses guarding something you need (in this case, the Elements), which has always made the Legend of Zelda series good, and always will. The long levels of the game make up for the lack of levels (there are only five in this game, along with the final dungeon) but nevertheless, you'll have a good time in each one. The bosses themselves are unique, too, making it even better for you in each dungeon. The Game play is good, and you are sure to enjoy it. I know I did.

Game Length/Replay Value: 7/10

This is a game that you will want to play time and time again. Like most Zelda games, it is addicting. The problem is, it is way too short for its own good. You know how most Zelda games for Gameboy have the standard eight levels, but this time, there's only five, as stated above. The other problem is, none of the levels are that challenging either. You get the standard puzzles with enemies and switches and levers and such, and some extra puzzles with your new powers to shrink to the approximate size of a flea. Not many are challenging: they mainly take patience, and sometimes not even that. Overall, the game is shorter than the average Legend of Zelda game, and won't take long to beat, but you should still have a good time playing it.

A very good game overall. The Legend of Zelda series for Gameboy did very good here. This game is a must-have for any Zelda fan. Should you have the choice to rent or buy it, I'd go with buying it, hands-down. It's a must-have for your collection.

And with that, farewell.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/06, Updated 01/08/10

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (US, 01/10/05)