Review by Bkstunt_31

"Fairly good fighting, but that's about it."

I picked up Advance Guardian heroes on a whim, since I wanted a new game to try out and the price was right. It is a 2D side-scrolling fighter. After learning the few moves the characters had, I went on to beat the game in about 2 hours.

This is one of the lowest scores I've ever given for any games story. The game here is a direct sequel of a Sega Saturn game with the same name: Guardian Heroes. While the original looks like it has a cast the could make a good storyline (I've never played it), this game expects you to know who all these people are already. So, if you never played the original, you are left wondering how all these people know you.

The dialogue in the game is also awful, a complete mockery of the English language. It seems that they were rushing the game quite a bit.

The gameplay isn't nearly as bad as the story. As you fight enemies, you can collect crystals which allow you to level up your stats (this gives the gameplay some RPG elements). The gameplay is rather simplistic, but addicting. Essentially, you have three buttons which let you jump, counter, and attack. The attack changes if you hold down a certain direction as you attack. You can also make attacks from the air, and chain some attacks together.

Countering is an essential part to beating the game, as many enemies are only vulnerable if they are countered. You can also cast your choice of magic spells by hitting the counter and attack buttons together.

Overall the gameplay is addictive, yet shallow and very, very short.

The graphics weren't very good at all. I know many NES brawlers (Double Dragon, TMNT 2) that have better graphics than this game. The characters look rather choppy as you control them, as do the enemies. And when they speak, a text block pops up to show their pictures, and they are hideous! Poorly drawn. To make matters worse, they reuse many of the same enemies in the game, just giving them a different color and calling it a day.

Music & Sound effects: 6/10

Very unimpressive. The sound effects are ok, though, about what you would expect, but I'd rather play with the sound off, as it really doesn't add anything to the gameplay. You can't expect too much in the music category, as you're mostly going to be hearing your character punch people. They really didn't try to add in anything worth remembering here, though.

Re-playability: 7/10

The re-playability in the game is rather high, as you have 3 characters to choose from, and the chance to unlock quite a few more. You can also fight with a friend, and there are four different difficulty settings. The only question you have to ask yourself is why you would want to play through the game again? I guess being only 2 hours long to beat, it wouldn't take long to play through with a new character (one of the only upsides of such short gameplay).

I don't recommend this game to anyone, really. It's way too short. The only redeeming factor it has going for it is the rather addictive gameplay, so if your desperate for something new, maybe give it a shot. Otherwise, I'd stay far away. Have fun and keep playing! Later..

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/07