"A great taste of classic gaming"

Let me start off by saying that, with a few exceptions, I was brought into the world of gaming with the PlayStation. That means that I missed out on alot of old gems from the NES, SNES era. Lately GBA has been remaking these games, and Castlevania is one of them. I have played through CoTM, AoS, HoD, and SoTN, and decided to buy this to experience the classic version of the Castlevania I hear so much about. That being said, let's start the review!^_^

GAMEPLAY - This is what the game is known for. You fight the forces of evil with your whip and secondary weapons through a side-scrolling, 8-bit castle. Very fun, each monster presents a new challenge and style that you must over come. Different power ups can be picked up to help your whip or give you a new weapon, ect. Being that I learned CV from the new generation, I figured I could save my hearts for bosses, was I ever wrong. Everything you can pick up plays a very vital part in your adventure and must be used very wisely. Each stage is divided up into 3 levels with a boss at the end of each. Let me state here, this game is HARD. Not "wow that was tough" hard, more like "I need to return this game because I am positive that beating it isn't possible." It is possibly, mind you, but will take plenty of practice. Don't buy this game and expect to breeze through it. That kind of difficulty is rare these days and I like it. 10/10

STORY - Meh. Bashing this game for no story would be like bashing a racing game for not having enough enemies to kill. You run through the castle to kill Dracula, same as the other games. You don't need to have a deep story when there is such great gameplay. You know what you're doing, and why you're doing it, and that's good enough. 8/10

GRAPHICS/SOUND - This game is basically a NES quality game. Most people think games need to look flashy or be improved to be good. I don't understand why they can't appreciate the old-school unchanged look. This game has basic 8-bit graphics, exactly what it was meant to have. Who could ask for more? I have the same thing to say about the sound. Why complain about the sound not being up to par with new games, it has the sound it was meant to have. I enjoy hearing familiar CV music in the background and it fits the game nicely. g - 10/10 s - 9/10

PLAYTIME/REPLAYABILITY - This game isn't very long, but the time it lasts is always interesting. There's not much more to see or do after you beat it, but the great thing about it is that it's one of those games you can just pick up and play when you're bored and find it fun no matter how many times you beat it. It's always fun to see how far you can get without taking damage, or trying to beat your times beating it. Not having new character and such to play as isn't bad, it's still fun to make your own challenges, not to mention hard mode. 10/10

FINAL RECOMMENDATION - This game started a great series, and is awesome its self. This is a great example of how games need not be gaudy or overly violent in order to be an incredible experience. I recommend this to anyone who just plain loves games. I was considering taking away one point for the difficulty, but decided not to. In this day and age, a hard game that simplistic at the same time is a great change of pace. Check this one out. Only $20 ^_^

FINAL SCORE (not an average) - 10/10