Review by justsomeloser

"It's time to duel!(Wait that's what Yugi says)"

Duel Masters: Shadow of the Code

Duel Masters: Shadow of the Code is based on the wildly popular anime shown on Cartoon Network. It is the 3rd in the series of the game and it is actually,despite what you might think, pretty good.

The controls are simple enough. You select what cards you want to play with the control pad and press A. The L button shows the field, what's in both you and your opponents graveyard, how many cards you and your opponent are holding, etc. The game also offers a tutorial at the beginning of the game and before. The tutorial is pretty confusing and since the concept of Duel Masters might seem complex compared to it's Yu-Gi-Oh! counterpart. The tutorial works for the most part, but it leaves more questions than answers, and I had to figure out how to play myself. The gameplay can be on the slow side, sometimes the computer just takes forever to move. You can adjust the game's AI in the settings, so that should help people frustrated with the slowness of this game. One final issue- NOTHING changes in this game-NOTHING all your opponents say the same thing before and after duels, even when you are dueling a different opponent, it feels the same-just with a different deck. While I found dueling to be fun at first, the gameplay is just to generic to enjoy after a while.

Graphics:5/10

The graphics in this game aren't good.They aren't bad.They're so-so; the characters from the show are in this game; and fans of the series will be happy to know they look exactly like the anime counterparts. The monster summons are nothing spectacular, but is a step above what you see in YGO or other card battle handheld games. Monsters of the same civilization look EXACTLY alike. To much so to be able to tell the difference between them. I liked the fact that the monsters you summoned actually showed up on screen and you can actually see them attack your opponents creatures. But it is completely generic and repetitive and the thrill of summoning your monsters and attacking other monsters quickly goes away after you've seen the same animation for the millionth time.

Sound:3/10

Turn it down.Nao. Forget your GBA has volume while playing this game. Your ears will thank you. The sound in this game is absolutely horrible,

Replayability:4/10

Card games tend not to have much replayability value. And this one is no different. After you've completed the game, there isn't much to do unless you want to complete your card collection, and with only 600 cards to collect, there's even less. Once you've beaten the game,sell it for some extra cash.

Rent or Buy:N/A

I can't tell you whether or not to buy this game; the game is good but some people who were looking for an alternative to YGO, Pokemon, or some other CCG might be disappointed with this game. I enjoyed it and fans will to for the short time that it lasts.

Overall:6/10

As a huge fan of YGO, I didn't think that I was going to enjoy Duel Masters, I was wrong. I'm not sure which was out longer, but I thought Duel Masters was a complete knock of of YGO, I couldn't have been more wrong. This is its own game. And while it gets some things wrong. It gets most right. Pick this game up, you won't regret it .

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/06