Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Duel Academy
Review by TeH_ForGoTeN
"Yu-Gi-Oh! Its time to duel! (Dueling, and only Dueling)"
Hello all and thank you for viewing my 'Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Duel Academy' Preview. I will like to start out saying this is one of the best Yu-Gi-Oh games they made in my oppinion, but heh they havn't made any good ones really. Though this game is very fun in dueling, but it lacks the time and creatings of a story line. It starts off your a boy new to Yu-Gi-Oh and you enter a Dueling Academy school. So far so good, You start in this local card shop and it has a few packs to get you started, as time goes on you unlock more packs but they really take some time to get intresting cards, Like black luster soldier - envoy of the beggining and things like that.You do that blah blah and you go to your room, and the duelist starts. You find out a half hour later all you do is the same dueling, waking up, and things and it just gets boring.
It is a step up from other Yu-Gi-Oh games but its a step down of the other games around it. This game has goods and bads, Like the dueling isn't really any different from 'Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Championship Tournament 2005' so all they really did was spend a few hours and remake Glory with no changes. All they did was add little additions that really don't make this game worth buying, and it makes it very boring if you played glory. Good length, but dueling gets boring, no story line, not a lot to do other then duel. Gets boring in general preatty quick.
The gameplay is very bland, you never get to walk around and control your character like other games in the past its not like slide shows with Yu-Gi-Oh characters talking. Not much fun and its a major step down from the games in the area of Gameboy Advance. If you played Glory its a major bore because there is no story line and its almost the same dueling as in Glory.
The dueling is good in general all but when you play cards that counter, and saying "no" over and over when they change phases, summon cards, draw cards, ect.. gets very annoying. If you played glory you will see that 90% of the dueling is an exact copy of glory. Although they did add timed dueling, which is very boring but give it some credit because it was a change and it is new. It just lacks the length of the duel that it should be when you play 8000 vs 8000. The packs are almost the same, although they did add a few new cards like Elemental Hero's and such but its basicly the same since you will not use elemental hero's in your main deck.
Story Line: 1/10
There is no real story line although it has a path it sets you on, it gets boring after the first half hour of the game and you understand everything that is going on and you see its a never ending circle of dueling that gets pretty boring and all you want to play the game for is dueling, which in time will get boring too.
I will not rate the sound since any time I play the gameboy the sound is always annoying to me because its no voice acting so I can't hear so I will leave this unrated.
I say if you are thinking about buyings this game, think twice. If you are a Yu-Gi-Oh fanatic and love to duel, then yes this game will do good because its 90% of dueling and the other 10% your holding your head thinking why did I waste my money on this game? If you have 7 trials to glory then I suggest you NOT buy this game because It has no story and the same dueling so I suggest you hold your money until next year when they release a new one. If you don't have trials, I suggest you rent it if you can and play it for a hour then say yes or no, because after that hour you will do all there is to do in the game and all thats left to do is duel your fingers off.
Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/06
Got Your Own Opinion?
You can submit your own review for this game using our Review Submission Form.