Review by WishingTikal

"Princesses, enchanted kingdoms, magic wands... oh joy."

It seems like developers think they need to come up with a new Barbie game each year, so they come up with something like Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus. It's comprehensible considering a lot of GBA users are youngsters and among these, a lot are girls, and this is what the game is aimed at: very young girls. I'm not 6 years old anymore, so it's hard to give a verdict on this game, but being a girl, I guess I can relate to these little girls. With that being said, I suppose I could consider Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus a good game, for the public it's aimed at, at least.

The evil Wenlock has broke into Annika's kingdom asking her to marry him, but she refuses of course so he changes everyone at the castle in stone, as well as Annika's sister into Pegasus (I do wonder why he changed her into that, but I guess only the game developers know). By a fortunate coincidence, Annika finds the Wand of Light laying around so she can change back everyone into their normal form! Her sister (now Pegasus) helps her travel across the kingdom to save everyone.

There are only 4 worlds (castle, village, forest, glacier), 3 levels each, so the game can be completed pretty quickly. I think it took me around 3 hours to complete the game on normal mode. The game's already pretty easy too, so imagine on easy mode. There is no hard mode, but the normal mode was just okay. Easy for me, but I found it to be a tad challenging for young kids. The first worlds are no problems, but the difficulty does increase a bit in the last worlds.

It plays like this: walk around with the wand and find all the stone people in the level, and free them using the wand. A level is completed once you have found all the stone persons. They're not really hidden though, you simply need to jump on platforms to find them and destroy some stone blocks with the wand. You'll also get other wand powers, like one that lifts you up in the air to reach platforms above your head and the ember one that lets you burn down ice blocks. There is also one that changes enemies into plants. You'll need to switch between all those powers depending on the obstacle you face.

There are also a few bosses in the game, but they're quite pathetic. I should also mention the bonus levels in which you fly around on Pegasus to collect coins. That's about it I guess. Once the game is over, it's over, there's nothing to come back to. But we all know how kids can play the same game over and over without getting bored of it, so I suppose that's okay.

Looking up at the graphics, they're okay, the backgrounds look decent, but the sprites are a bit on the weak side. The music is okay too, but nothing catchy.

Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus is a decent game, good for young girls who like princesses, magic wands and things like that, but if you're not under 8 years old and are not even a girl, then forget about it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 09/28/05, Updated 10/02/05