Review by HeoandReo

"We're taking this baby, to the MOOOOooooooooOOOON!!!"

Final Fantasy is a simple tale of strange medieval times combined with the futuristics of tomorrow.

Wait, I don't think that sounds good. Let's start over.

Join us, in the timeless classic story of love, treachery, fear, as well as the most strongly supported characters ever to enter the ranks of legend. There were Dragons, and castles, and princesses, plus, a Karate Man with severe allergies!

Ah, that's better.

Final Fantasy is a classic series, the first successful Dungeons and Dragons on TV. Since it's faithful beginnings in 1987, it has grown into one of the most known gaming series in the industry. It has also developed many spin-offs and sequels, this being one of them. This game was known as Final Fantasy 2 back when it was released in North America for the first time, as Square released their first game to us a bit too late. Nonetheless, we still ate it up, despite the horrifyingly funny translation, and the odd systems it had.

Now, it has been re-released for the newer generation to enjoy. And I'm proud to say I'm part of the generation that enjoys this experience. And while the Karate Man's allergies are sorely missed, and the little girl's made-up hushes, like Hem, too, the Spoony Bard came back for us all.

This game tells the story of Cecil Harvey, an orphaned servant to the King of Baron. Despite being an evil Knight, Cecil still has some good in him, which leads him to question the justice of his duties. The king, worried about the consequences of this plot, fires Cecil. His friend, Kain the Dragon-killer half-dragon man, stands up for Cecil, and like what any normal evil dictator would do in such a situation, sends Kain along to help Cecil with their last job. What follows are many side stories with Cecil and his friends, like a love triangle, the story of the universe's creation, and some old guy's quest for redemption, among other things.

While the game is aimed for the purists of the older games, some newer elements are added as well, such as a real-time system, that was introduced in the later Final Fantasies. There is much more to discover in this mystical land, but I'll just leave that to you, the gamer. My title also refers to the moon. Yes, as a minor mystery revealed, you will be going to the white semiplanet soon, but I won't tell you what to do there just yet.

Nonetheless, I should probably get on with my review before I bore you all to death, so here goes.

Story: 10 out of 10. The story is marvelous, for lack of a better word. In the entire group, there's at least one character for anyone to relate to. The story starts out mild, but unravels slowly, and suddenly, to figure out what everyone's role is. The bad guys aren't evil just because, but they have their own reasons for being what they are. The good guys have their own motives for defeating the ultimate evil, and at least one character you connect to dies in the story. It can really make you sad, but at the same time, you feel a new respect for that character. A solid perfect.

Control: 7 out of 10. The control is easy to follow, but is unresponsive at times, especially during battle. That made the score what it is, but then again, it was ported from an inferior system.

Graphics: 9 out of 10. The graphics are almost identical from its SNES counterpart, but this one is more colourful, and the sprites look a bit better. I only wish the menu pictures looked somewhat more like their SNES doppelgangers.

Sound: 10 out of 10. The sound is perfect. The music fits the mood for every event. The music is also quite memorable. That's why they put in a music player. I love you, Square-Enix. Take me. The sound also mostly fits the thing that's going on. When something needs to be whacked, (Palom, Edward's face) there's a nice WHACK sound. Pure genius.

Gameplay: 8 out of 10. The game will get tedious, but it will take a long time before that happens. There are many things to keep you busy. Maxing out everyone's stats, beating side quests, and completing the Bestiary are only some of the things you can do to keep yourself entertained. Plus, the ability to start over with new strategies makes it last so much longer.

Overall:
10+7+9+10+8=44. 44 divided by 50 = 88% = 9.

Rent, Buy, Check, or Don't Bother? Buy. You won't regret anything.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/06