Review by Nox Pupilla

"The hunt for the crystals continue"

December of 2005. Welcome to the rebirth of Final Fantasy IV (II if you haven't caught on to the numbering system yet).

The game has been brought back (It was also out on the PlayStation 1, however, those games boasted load times like no other, as well as a couple of glitches that could render the game unplayable), complete with stunning colors, the same soundtrack I remember it for, as well as such classic, cult-status sayings involving a spoon and a bard. You heard it here first, folks. Spoons and bards. Ultimate insult.

So, we've got spoons, bards, an airship, a ragtag cast of adventurers, and some crystals! Lets go for it!

Graphics 8/10
Graphics do not a game make. That is one of my founding rules, but to be honest, if SquareEnix could take the time to give an older game a little more TLC and update the graphics, i'd give it a 10/10. The battlefields are redone, it seems, and for that I can't give it a 1. It's a re-port, not a re-make in my eyes, at least in the graphics department. The game still seems a bit pixelly, but the redone monsters and sharper colors used make the game pop and come alive, and hardly date the graphics, making them now appear to be "retro" instead of "old".

Story 10/10
Stories like this do not exist in video games anymore. When this game came out, and *spoiler* happened, I sat there on my bed with tears coming out of my little eyes. No one expected something like this to happen. The tragedy, the beauty, and the perseverance of the Hero (Cecil), will make you love him to bits. This is one of the few Final Fantasy games where I can honestly say I fell in love with the characters. It truly embodies what an RPG should be - it is like playing through a book. A very good book. A book with a true villain who tries to do what he has to do, a hero trying to find himself while leading others, every character has their own separate mission to accomplish, however, they are all brought together in one team of five people. It's beautiful.

Sound 10/10
Everybody loves Final Fantasy music, right? This game made the SNES sing like Charlotte Church, and the GBA sings just as beautifully. The songs in this game are memorable, and most of all they are properly used. You will remember these songs in certain points, you will start humming them for no reason because they are catchy. And when they come up, they will invoke the perfect feeling for the mood. Plus, the last boss theme is one of the best fight songs I have ever heard. You will feel the emotion the music conveys, from walking on the world map, to your first boss fight, until tragedy befalls the party. Music should rattle your bones and shake your soul, and this game accomplishes making that happen.

Gameplay 10/10
They can run! Good lord, thank you! No more walking slowly through towns, now we can run! Like the last reviewer, I too noticed a glide sort of thing, but it may just be my eyes, and none of that hinders the game in any way. It plays just like the original, which is just the way we all wanted it. Fights are a simple beast to handle, when it is someone's turn a menu pops up with the typical commands, magic brings a "chanting" emote, and so forth. The dungeons are a bit harder now that we can not see the wall passages, but with some luck, you'll be fine.

Scoring:
Graphics 8/10
Story 10/10
Sound 10/10
Gameplay 10/10
Overall 9/10

To be honest, i was slightly apprehensive about SquareEnix picking up the reigns of one of my favorite games of all time. There is something about the new Final Fantasies that does not do it for me, and I was afraid of that same something being done to a classic. But it didn't. I urge anyone who has not played this game to give it a try. Play it for an hour or two, and if you don't like it, sell it. This game shows that SquareEnix is capable of listening to the fans of the classics. Now, if only they'd make a portable Chrono Trigger..

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/19/05