Review by xcamel24

"Could've been better with some extra effort"

Alright, so we've got Final Fantasy IV Advance now, and it is much anticipated by RPG fans new and old. Well I've got some bad news; you shouldn't set your expectations too high.

This is where the game suffers the most, from the very lackluster gameplay put into use here. In battle, there are many things that held me up from experiencing what I experienced in the SNES version of the game. Battle have had random lag, and the ATB system appears to be somewhat dysfunctional. For instance, while an attack was in animation, my sage character's bar was at full, then my Dark Knight Character's bar became full, and the Dark Knight got his turn first. I can't explain why that is really, except the fact that the ATB is, well dysfunctional. Also, there is no way to switch between characters who have a turn available, so if you need to heal before you can attack again, you have to waste your attackers turn basically. Also, the game AI seems to be very, well slow. Slowly attacking, not attacking, or taking 5 turns before your enemy does anything is not uncommon in this version of the game. Overall, the gameplay department could use some work.

Storyline: 10/10

This here is the game's saving redemption. The storyline is quite decent, and a pleasure to enjoy over and over again. Newcomers will also enjoy the tone and the depth to the characters. The story takes many twists and turns and will keep you interested all the way through the game. It is truly quite good.

Some people like it, some people don't. Well I for one DO NOT enjoy the sound quality in the GBA version of this game, it is very low quality and needs a lot of work. The GBA is very capable of more than what this game put out, and games like Fire Emblem and Golden Sun have proved that. The sad part is that SquareEnix is almost ALWAYS brilliant with sound and music. This time I think the remix themes were very low quality and sounded much better on SNES and Playstation.

After seeing the original version of the game, and looking at this one, you will understand why this score is so high. The visuals are beautiful to look at, and the backgrounds are quite stellar actually. I wish the graphics could've been this well done in the SNES version, because they are quite amazing here. The only set back to the graphics is the battle lag times and the scrolling in areas. I felt that was a bit choppy, but other than that the graphics will not disappoint you here.

The only thing that kept me playing this game are the additions onto the game, which weren't in any previous versions. I don't want to spoil them all for you, so if you want to know check into it or ask about it on the message boards.

Final Score: 7/10

All in all, I would only recommend this game to people who don't have access to the other THREE versions of this game, or to people who are die hard fans to the game. Casual players will probably find themselves bored within minutes.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/19/05