Review by TemjinZero

"The End is here... The Final Story of the EXE Saga."

Foreword:
After 5 years since the release of the first MegaMan Battle Network game on GBA back in December of 2001 in North America, Capcom has released the final installment of the MegaMan Battle Network Series (Rockman.EXE in Japan), MegaMan Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar and MegaMan Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar (Greiga and Faltzer in Japan). To this day, I still consider the EXE series to be one of the greatest series of games out there.

To be fair, I am a bit biased. This is the last game of the series (minus a potential DS version, which would totally rock!), so I'll probably give high ratings. However, I feel that this game is truly deserving of them. More or less, you could consider this a rate of the entire EXE saga.

As always, everything is on a scale out of 10.

Controls: 9.5/10
What can I say. The EXE series still has a great learning curve. As always, a tutorial of how to play at the very beginning of the game, extremely useful for those new to the game, or those who've just forgotten how to play. The game's controls take a short time to pick up, and you can spent forever mastering them to a fine, precision technique to demolish your friends in Netbattles. What more could you ask for? (Other than real PETs and real NetNavis, and like full virtual control, which would be freaking awesome) For the most part, the controls haven't changed since previous installments, since, well, they've never needed to. However, it may take some getting used to when using Beast Out to properly use the correct attacks, but that is easily learned.

Yes, a full 10. Why? This game has a great story (not to mention the last story) to keep you hooked as you play along. After the game, there's still plenty of extras for players to do before they can even consider putting it down. Then, there's Netbattling. I mean... with the opportunity to duke it out with friends to prove who's really the better creates near endless re-playability in perfecting skills, building folders, and battle chip hunting. The fun will last...for a very long time... I hope.

Story: 9.5/10
...well, so I accidentally splurged it above, great story. The game begins with Lan having to move away from his hometown due to his dad getting a new job. So we see Lan in an entirely new environment, without his old friends, trudging his way through unfamiliar terrain, along the way meeting new people, and stopping the villains from their evil conquests. Your basic EXE story outline, minus the moving away part. Overall though, even though many of the old characters who we sort of grew up with aren't there, it is a nice change to see interactions with new faces and new characters, and not just the old ones.

Characters: 8.5/10
Ok, so this games loses a few points here. Why do you ask? Well, I just kinda wish THEY HAD MORE CROSSES. I mean... Lan's choices of allies in this game... just feels really sparse (sure there's the same number of souls/crosses compared to previous versions) but it just feels like some of them I wouldn't call friends/allies, more like...distant "acquaintances" I'd sorta be wary about.

Graphics: 9.5/10
Ok... well, the graphics haven't really changed in a long time. BUT, compared to EXE 1, it looks better.
On a side note: DID ANYONE ELSE CARE TO NOTICE MEGAMAN/ROCKMAN FINALLY HAS A NEW BATTLE STANCE IN THIS GAME?!?!?! I think it looks better than his old stance.
The sprite animations are fairly fluid, and the BeastOut forms look wonderfully designed, so it's not a disappointment, in battle anyways.

OK, crap, I REALLY LIKE THE BATTLE THEME. I find it extremely fitting and well composed for the last game of the EXE series. It has a sense of desperation and finality to it. The other background music is fairly good, and won't drive you insane unless you just can't stand Gameboy BGMs.

Re-playability: 10/10
Yea... this game will last a while, thanks to extras included (a shame some were cut from the North American version, but I'll live.) Netbattling is great too, and helps to extend the game's life even further.

Overall:
I'm giving this game 10/10. Why? I'm a huge fan of the EXE series, and I suppose while I will be sad to see it end, I'm also glad to see it end before the story became butchered into a money-making scheme which would send the EXE story into oblivion. I'm not quite sure what would have occurred in EXE7 had they made it, but I must say, any further ideas might just butcher the saga, so in that sense, I'm happy it comes to a close. Well done Mr. Keiji Inafune-san (couldn't decide on which honorifics).

Buy or rent? BUY BOTH! Both games though very similar, have different play styles. Brute force from Greiga Version to pull off victories, while Strategy is required for Faltzer Version. Both offer unique styles of play which should cater to any type of player.

With this review, I bid adieu to Rockman.EXE (Megaman.EXE), Netto (Lan), & co.
Thank you very much for these past 5 years, I have truly enjoyed your stories.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/06