Review by theoriginalL5

"The best way to play FFV yet, it'll give you a new appriciation for this game!"

Square Enix got it right. I will rarely ever give out a 10, but this game is a must for RPG fans. Considering FFIII for DS and FFXII for PS2 are out now as well, I consider this an extremely solid choice, even among the two other technically superior titles.

Most of the RPG world has tried FF5, either on PS1 as part of the Anthology Disc or through an emulated copy, translated or not. If you don't like FF5, this version will do little to sway that opinion as in large, it's the same FF5 you've become familiar with. What FF5a does, is it takes the original game, and spices it up with polished graphics and sound, and an abundance of extras, much in the way FF4a turned out.

One compelling reason to play THIS version of FF5 over any other is the new translation. Much better than than the awful PS1 Anthology script, and even a little better than RPGe's work back in 1998, this I'd have to say is the best translation you'll find of FF5. Gone is Faris' awful pirate accent, which although some did like, I felt was hard to read and distracted the player from the story line. Lenna retains her original Japanese name, gone is "Reina" from FF5 on PS1, although the name Bartz has still made it in for the main player, as well as Krile for one of the supporting players. Spell names have also gone through a retranslation (Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, etc). The new translation really shines although I must admit there's a bit of humor that perhaps loses its touch in the way of it being merely text, even for those of us who are able to read stories with expression. I also must say that over RPGe's translation of the game, and even somewhat over the PS1 script, the player dynamics have changed. Bartz is a bit more chivalrous, Galuf cracks more jokes, Lenna seems more caring, and Faris seems more.. er.. normal. It really is superb. I have a lot more appriciation for the plot, the main villian and the lead characters.

The graphics and sound have also received a slight polish as now there is more shading in character sprites, and backgrounds. The sound too, benefits from a better MIDI sound scheme, which lends itself more to a realistic orchestral sound, as well as polish sound effects which admittedly are a mixed bag. FF4a had better sound effects in all honesty.

The other reason I reccomend this version of FF5 over all others is of course the extras that dignify the word Advance in the title. From new dungeons and weapons similar to FF4a, FF5a also gives the players new character classes to try out, which really bolsters the games already deep and satisfying character customization system. Considering FF5 is known for this character class system and its customization options, those who are already a fan of this system are in for a real treat. FF4a had fairly large sidequests after finishing the game, and FF5 gives the player a similar amount to do after saving the world.

For those wondering, gone are all glitches and port hiccups that plagued FF4a. The game runs smoothly at all times, and battles flow just as they did in previous versions.

As mentioned before, this is in my opinion THE way you'll want to play FF5. If you've never played this game before, it's still highly reccomended, as it's a classic that every role playing fan deserves to enjoy. While not a complete glitzy remake that is the DS version of Final Fantasy III, it still holds it own due to its nostalgia and additional content. I would whole heartedly reccomend this to any fans of previous versions of FF5, or any of the FF games 1-6. If you're used to the 3D worlds of FF7-12, maybe give this a rent first, but if you can get down with the old school presentation, you're in for a real treat with a great story, great characters, and one the deepest and most satisfying battle systems in any RPG to date.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/06