Review by spudnickator

"A good game, with it's fair share of flaws."

Personally, I have only played Final Fantasy V for the PSX, and I didn't like it much. The loading times were horrible and the translation, well, there isn't a word to describe how bad it was. This game changes that, making it a great game, and pushing it about three places up in my Favorite Final Fantasy games of all time list.

Gameplay 9/10
----------------
The Job system....In my opinion, the greatest level up system in Final Fantasy history. It gives so much customization to your characters, you have total control over what and when they learn. Although great, because you can customize your characters completly, most of the bosses have a cheap trick to winning. Except for the final boss, which, has an expensive trick. Other than that, near perfect.

Story 5/10
-----------
Not the game's strong point, thats for sure. Basically, there are four people destined to protect the Crystals and the evil that lies inside of them. Once that evil gets released, they have to destroy that evil. Very cliché if you ask me. Although it isn't great, it does have a couple of good plot twists out there, enough to keep you interested until the next one comes around.

---------------
I don't see much difference from the PSX's version to be honest. I have noticed the slight change in battlebacks, but apart from that, they all seem similar. Although they haven't changed much, the graphics are still good. Everything seems detailed, but they don't stretch the GBA's capabilites.

Sound 9/10
------------
Ah, the sound. They have remixed most, if not all, of the sound from the PSX version. Some for the better, some for the worse, however, you get used to it. Gilgamesh's battle theme has been remixed, when I first heard about this, I groaned. I thought they would ruin it, however, they didn't. I actually prefer most of the music to the other versions.

Extras 7/10
------------
A new bonus dungeon and four extra jobs. Good add ons if you ask me. Aside from the Necromancer Job, which is only obtainable by beating the final boss of the bonus dungeon, and therfor making it near useless, I like them all.

Overall 8/10
-------------
It's a great game, but could be better. The storyline is too weak, and the characters too shallow. Bartz has the least to do with the storyline if you ask me, he's supposed to be a main character!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/07/06