Review by kiss_of_deth

"Eh...it's a little better, I guess."

I can remember going over to my cousin's house so that we could kick butt with multiplayer in the original FFVI (U.S.=FFIII) in 1996, two years after its release. Well, he STILL has the cartridges, so I sat down and played through both versions. I'll try to be as unbiased as possible with this, so here it goes.

MUSIC/SOUND: 8 out of 10

Contrary to what some might say, the music and sound effects, for the most part are excellent. It reminded me of the good 'ol days, hearing "Dancing Mad" again. The most notable flaw in the sound department is when Shadow has his first dream (while in the party). It sounded horrible.

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10

What can I say? It's 2D, and ported perfectly. The only thing, I guess is I've gotten used to the cinematic summons present in FFVII+. Here, they just do their job, and go back to what espers do in their spare time...they play dominoes.

MECHANICS: 9 out of 10

The reason for this not getting a 10 is partly because of my own stupidity. I didn't realize that in order to gain stats, you had to equip espers, so by the time that I realized this, my characters were at about level 25. The thing about this is that the espers seem a little unevenly stacked, in the fact that there's only a few that increase a certain stat, but a lot that increase another. For example, Sabin's ultimate attack, the "Phantom Rush" damage is based on your magic stat. Well, if you want him to learn all of the spells, this means equipping a bunch of summons that DON'T increase your magic stat, which in turn means that you might end up with a Sabin that does crap damage with his attacks. Also, the vitality stat is crap. In FFVII+, the vitality stat determined how much damage you took. Not the case here. It doesn't seem to do anything noticeable, really. One more thing with the espers is that one of the better espers does damage to your party, as well. A lot of damage.

NEW CONTENT: 4 out of 10

Honestly, if this game is crap in any one category, it's this one. The four new espers feel sloppy in implementation. They do minuscule damage, compared to just using regular attacks (via Genji Glove/Master's Scroll). The difficulty level in the new dungeons is way too high, as well. I was able to breeze through Kefka's Tower with a party of level 60 characters...and their stats sucked, too. In the first "boss" fight in the Dragon's Den, my level 90+ characters got totally pwned. Great, there's another 5 hours of level grinding. The translations are more accurate, but I just don't like them, due to the SNES version's considerable differences. Seriously, were the SNES translators drunk when translating it? Master Pug, sheesh...Master Pug = Master Tonberry = NO.

All in all, this remake is on par with its GBA remake cousins, but just isn't as fun as the SNES version.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/27/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy VI Advance (US, 02/05/07)