Review by the_reborn_soul

"I Refuse to Make some Stupid Joke about "Union""

I first found this on a random browse. I'd never heard of it before, so I got it out of curiosity. It's worth all the time it took to acquire. It's a seriously interesting story with a semi-unique battle system and interesting characters.

GRAPHICS: 10/10

I played Riviera: The Promised Land a while back and loved it, in part for its lovely artwork. Yggdra Union is another example of the fact that the guys who do this art deserve to be highly overpaid.

SOUND/MUSIC: 9/10

In addition to the awesome artwork, Union sports a very nice soundtrack and the sound effects are pretty good in themselves. I'm convinced that the only thing to keep this game from getting the 10 it so clearly deserves is the fact that it is on the GBA, which lowers the sound quality of most things.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10

I've played strategy games before. I thought I knew what to expect when I played Union; some game that got boring after the 50th time you did the same thing. I am proud to admit I was wrong.

Union requires a small amount of strategy due to the fact that where you place your units now has more impact on the battle than where you'll move then next turn. When units are lined up correctly, they'll provide aid in the next battle you fight. However, the enemy can do the same thing, balancing out this advantage.

There is also a weapon cycle. You now need to carefully plan who attacks who, as it can be disastrous for your side. Luckily, one loss won't kill you. But your HP doesn't regenerate between battles either, thus making it harder to stay alive.

STORYLINE: 10/10

The story is almost as good as the gameplay. The story proper starts with Princess Yggdra running away from the invading soldiers. She acquires the help of a gang of thieves in attempting to reclaim her kingdom and thus the story takes off.

I'd really say that I like the way the story takes on the idea of war and what it does. Don't let the cutesy artwork throw you off; this is a teen game at least.

All in all, Union is one of those games you don't want to miss, even if you aren't generally a strategy fan. The keeping-you-on-your-toes gameplay and the interesting storyline will interest anyone that doesn't hate video games with a passion....or is crazy.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/07