Review by cartoonwolf

"Atlus brings us a good strategy game strategy game from the makers of Rivera the promised land"

Does Yggdra Union beat out big strategy games like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy tactics? Not quite, but Atlus does a great job with this one.

Graphics 8/10- Wow! Those were my first words when I looked at those character designs.Every character is distinguished but keeps a central style. Each character felt cool and fun to play. The character sprites have some good detail too. The battleground capture a good amount of diversity, but not quite as well as I like. That's a big thing for me.

Story/characters 7/10-The story is another cliche of strategy games. The kingdom of Fantasia is attacked by the Bronquian army and defeated. Princess Yggdra flees with bronquian soldiers in pursuit. Her attackers catch up and put her in a difficult situation when she's rescued by a bandit named Milanor. They build a growing "union" to take on the Bronquian army. Woo hoo. Not my favorite, but it works. The characters are just great. They pop and bubble with personality (although only in the cutscenes) On their own the story would get a six, and the characters an eight.

Sound 6.5/10- I'm not to good with the sound catagory in my reviews, but the sound holds up fairly well. Of course their is much better music but it makes you feel the emotion of the characters well.

Playability-9/10- First of all the gameplay is fantastic! The chaotic but calm squirmishes are wonderful (I know how dumb that sounds) It's just too strange to explain, but I'll try.You start on a battlefeild with different people acting like peices on a chess-board.You and your opponent take turns moving and attacking each other (similar to Fire Emblem) Once you choose an enemy to attack you watch the battle play out. Some of the coolest battle features are unions and changing your agresiveness. Unions are linking character attacks together based on their placement on the battlefeild. Changing your agresiveness is deciding if you want your character to act, passive or agresive, and making them act that way. It sound confusing, but the game does a good job of introducing the tactics to you.There's a more to the battles than this, but I'm not going to explain it all. While the gameplay is good there are some flaws. You can only attack once per turn making the battles last pretty long. Also the menus and features of the game can be a bit confusing. These flaws don't stop the playibility from being good.

Replayability 3/10- No multiplayer, no branching story paths, nothing to do after the credits roll. The only thing worth playing the game over for is to collect all the items. The game has a lot of length though, so replayability shouldn't be too significant.

Rent or buy- Buy. There is no way you would be able to experience the game if strategy games are only a side interests for you. For you hardcore stategy gamers feel free to rent.

Why buy it- You should buy the game because it is an original game with many interesting features. It may have it's flaws, but it's still a good game

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/07

Game Release: Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone (US, 11/21/06)