Review by Setokaiva

"I nominate this for the Hall of Fame"

This is without a doubt, one of the greatest games I have ever played. The feeling, the adrenaline rush that comes from the battle system is unforgettable. It's a far cry from Fire Emblem, even though it has many similarities like terrain bonuses and the weapon triangle, because it really forces you to THINK before you attack, even more so than Fire Emblem did. The reason for this is because you only get to make ONE attack each turn, BUT, you can have multiple allies join up for the attack by forming a Union, hence the name Yggdra Union.

Gameplay - 10
Wow. Just wow. I know I have said this before, but the battle system is incredible. Watching your troops storm across the field, jump over screaming "CHARGE!", watching in satisfaction as the enemies troop count is demolished, then watching in anxiety as they counter-attack to even the odds. Units shout orders and and hurl insults, the sounds of battle are clear and the music is great. Each character has their own battle music for their charge, including enemies. Some would argue that not being able to directly control your allies in battle is a flaw, but I disagree; It actually adds to the game, adds to that feeling of anxiety because you know you may not win each clash, there is always a chance that something will happen and the tides will turn. Like for example, a unit attacks and lands a critical hit, wiping out the entire opposing force in one shot before melee combat even begins. Or even better, a unit casts a spell, which can change the terrain, obliterate enemies, summon new units, heal allies, all kinds of game changers. It is great fun just to watch the battles.

Graphics - 10
It seems that by the time you reach the bar of game quality, someone moves the bar. In this case, that's a good thing; This game has some of the best graphics I have seen since Golden Sun, and that is saying something. Spells, characters, terrain and more are intricately detailed and great eye candy, especially considering this game is on such a supposedly outdated system.

Sound - 10
Oh. My. God. Yggdra Union has some of the best quality sounds and music I have ever heard, and if I knew where to download it I would be doing that right now. Both field and battle music complements the game and its pace very well, and never really gets old.

Story - ??
I have put an indecisive ranking here because I haven't actually completed the game yet. From what I have seen so far though, it's a very good storyline. Characters have a fair bit of backstory behind them, and you will often hear characters with background history hurl quips at each other during battle. The story has a lot of unexpected turns, sometimes forcing you to make tough decisions, and I'm pretty sure I was driven to tears a few times. It's a great story all around so far, and I would love to see more, and I hope you the reader will too.

All in all, this is a game VERY much worth getting, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The only reason I don't give it a perfect 10 is because the game can be a bit linear at times, often forcing you to do things a certain way if you want all the bonuses. You can play the game any way you want, of course, but you will have a much harder time if you don't end levels as quick as possible (to get the MVP stat bonus for your characters). There are plenty of side quests like trading chains to discover, but miss one and you're not likely to get another chance. You're forced to follow the story at all times, never diverging into any skirmishes or exploration. Your moves are limited by the Cards system as well; When you start a turn you must pick one of your cards, which each have their own attack power (which grows as you use it in battles), and spell attached. But once you have used a card you can't use it again in that same battle, and when you run out of cards, you lose. So there is essentially a time limit, although once you finish a battle all your cards are refreshed. Those are the only flaws I can think of, but it's not enough to miss trying out this game.

Two thumbs up, WAY up!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/10/12

Game Release: Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone (US, 11/21/06)