Review by ina300

"It's what you would expect from a license game"

Avatar: The Last Air Bender, an anime inspired cartoon on Nickelodeon, is one of the greatest cartoons ever made. Its mix of engaging plotlines, deep characterization, interesting mythology, and fluid fight animation makes it stand out over all other current cartoons and anime. Unfortunately, I'm not reviewing the cartoon I'm reviewing the video game based off the cartoon. And we all know what that means.

Gameplay (7/10)
I was pleasantly surprised that the gameplay wasn't downright awful. You get to play as the three main characters Aang, Sokka, and Katara. Like in the show you use the various bending abilities, which are the abilities to manipulate the four elements water, earth, fire, and air. You use theses abilities to fight the fire nation soldiers and solve puzzles. However you never get a fire bender or an earth bender in your group so you can only use air and water bending. After a short while enemy fire nation soldiers stop coming and its just puzzle solving for most of the game. These puzzles aren't difficult so you should have no problems going through the game. Additionally, the game is pathetically short; it will normally take a person only three hours to beat it.

Story (2/10)
The story was boring, predictable, and contradicted the plot of the cartoon. It starts at the north pool right after Zhaos attack. From there it just falls apart. First Zuko appears with his fire nation ship, despite the fact that his ship was destroyed and Zuko is being hunted down by the fire nation. Not only that but we only see Zuko once, and we never see Iroh. Those two are main characters and we don't even see them, Zuko should have at least been a boss battle. Next, they go to Omashu. In the show Omashu has been taken over by the fire nation at this time. When Aang and the gang get there Omashu is fine. But that is more understandable because when production of the game started we didn't know the fate of Omashu.

Sound (5/10)
Nothing special about it, it sounds a little worse then most GBA games. It pretty much mutilated the main theme though so I wasn't happy about that. The sound effects matched and over all nothing really bothered me.

Graphics (6/10)
Once again nothing special but it was still pretty good. There were a few moments where I was couldn't tell what I was looking at. King Bumi being the worst of it. But the main characters looked good. The backgrounds were cool and colorful. But once again I wasn't impressed.

Overall (6/10)
What's this? A video games, based on an anime, that's totally average and contradicts the plot of the series. Yes it's true just like almost all other anime video games this one is completely average. In fact the score might be a little high because of my personal bias to the show. Really the best part of the game was the fact that I was playing as Aang.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/02/06