Review by dtm666

"Three NES games on one GBA cartridge? I'm sold."

Around the 2004-2005 timeframe, Nintendo had re-released several classic NES games onto the Game Boy Advanced at budget prices. Many fans, while happy to play their all-time classics, complained about the games being released in single cartridges as opposed to multi-game carts where you can pick or choose. In 2006, Capcom apparently thought the same thing and released Capcom Classic Mini-Mix, which is a compilation of three of their own classic NES titles: Strider, Mighty Final Fight, and Bionic Commando.

STRIDER: Of the three NES games included, Strider was the only one I haven't actually touched originally (I did play the arcade version). For those who haven't played Strider, you run around various levels in the game collecting files and earning moves. It's sort of like an adventure game of sorts. I haven't gotten far in this game - some of the moves seems to be out of my scope - but the game looks nice and has a decent soundtrack for its age. It's not as fast-paced as the arcade game, but it's still a good romp. And look, it even has passwords! 7/10

MIGHTY FINAL FIGHT: Based loosely on the arcade game, Mighty Final Fight is a game which retains some of the arcade functionality and gameplay but adds a RPG-like level system that allows you to get stronger and perform more powerful attacks. The chibi-style art direction may turn off some folks and the lack of a 2-player mode may be unsettling, but this is still a fairly smooth and decent title that is different enough from its arcade originator to be considered another game in the series. 8/10

BIONIC COMMANDO: Most likely people are most like going to pick this set up for Bionic Commando. Based on a namesake arcade game, this NES title was expanded into a more involved action-adventure side-scroller. This is one of the few games where everything is well done. Gameplay is crisp, graphics are good, the music is excellent, and even the sound effects are nice. Easily the best of the three games on the pack. 10/10

From what I've seen so far, the games have been ported in similar fashion to the Classic NES releases, but they're all under one cart, which will make some people happy at least. If there's any one complaint I have about the collection, it's the apparent lack of a save feature. Understandably, arcade compilations don't have save functions and while most purists will probably have no problem with this, there are some of us who won't take to playing through games as long (and as tough) as these in a single sitting. (Although to be fair, Strider does have a password feature, but you still have to write them down.)

OVERALL: Capcom Classics Mini-Mix is a solid compilation for anyone who doesn't have access to (or have no plans in acquiring) a Wii console for the sake of its Virtual Console feature, but wants a taste of classic NES action on the go. You have three solid games that are fun to play even in this day and age. As stated, the lack of a save function will turn off a few people, but if you can look past that, you really can't go wrong with this set. Recommended. 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/09

Game Release: Capcom Classics Mini Mix (US, 09/19/06)