Review by tjernst

"FATALITY!"

Let me start by saying, MK4 doesn't get credit. The game has problems, but they aren't nearly as large as they say it is. For example, the controls. Now, without further ado, I give, a Mortal Kombat 4 review.

OK, you've had your fun complaining. Now, the game is FUN. Pure and simple. As soon as you press start, you are taken to character select. You have your choice of nine fighters, and they picked some good ones. You have your choice of Raiden, Quan Chi, Fujin, Liu Kang, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Reiko, Tanya, and Scorpion. Then, you pick one of three difficulties, Novice, Warrior, or Master. Each Difficulty bumps up the opponents, along with the offense and defense. You then fight your way to Shinnok. Repeat 9 times.

I admit, the graphics are DEFINITELY not s good as the Game Boy trilogy. The characters aren't very detailed, but you can tell them apart. The backgrounds are well done, and the projectiles look fine. One thing I really find interesting is the way they handle fatalities. Instead of a in game fatality, they take the fatalities from MK4 on the consoles, and translate it into a grainy black and white video.

Sound: 8/10(:O)
Oh My Gosh this music is HORRIBLE!!!!! It sounds like a metal shovel on chalkboard and an accordion. So WHY DOES THIS GET AN EIGHT? The voice. The announcer sounds like he is saying Round One. FIGHT!!, and FATALITY. Not really any thing more to say.

Control: 7.5/10
I couldn't decide between 7 or 8. HURRAY FOR DECIMALS! So, anyway, the controls work fine. There is a slight delay, but it's still playable. Press the D-Pad to move in the desired direction, A to Kick, B to Punch, Start blocks, Select Pauses. Holding A+B while moving forward makes you run.

This game is definitely NOT as good as II. It plays fine, and is a good game to have if you have nothing to play on the plane ride home. I SERIOUSLY recommend SF Alpha as a first choice. And so, I end on the cheat codes that matter:

Enable Reptile: 192234
Fight Reptile: 205205
Dark Kombat: 987123
Psycho: 985125
Com. 1/4 life: 000707
Com. 1/2 life: 000033
I'd just like to end saying that cheats like Big Head and the Programmer Messages do not work, besides them being listed on GameFaqs.com.

Average: 7.625
Final Score: 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/19/10

Game Release: Mortal Kombat 4 (US, 12/31/98)