Review by Necoji

"Catching 'Em All has never been as fun!"

Wow...for a game this great, I don't know where to start! So I guess I'll start with....

GRAPHICS : 10/10

For their time, the graphics in this game were very good. The sprites were beautiful, the scenery was amazing, and the effects on attacks and the environment were amazing as well. The first thing I noticed in this game was the major graphical improvement over Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow. Great graphics for a great game I suppose.

SOUND : 10/10

Wow...the sound in this game blew me away. Almost every town had different music, and they all sounded great! The sounds for each attack were all great and fit with the attacks well. The sound in this game was done VERY well.

STORY : 9/10

A simple story, but an effective one for sure. In Pokemon Gold, you are expected to get the 8 badges from the Pokemon Gyms scattered around Johto, go to the Pokemon League and win, thus becoming the Champion. Of course, after you get the 8 badges and become the champion, you realize you need to get 8 more badges and defeat the "Pokemon Master" Red. As I said earlier, a simple story, but an effective one.

GAMEPLAY : 10/10

Ah...now we get to the meat of the review, the gameplay section! Pokemon Gold was an absolute beast to play, and there was always something to do in-game. Regardless of if you're walking to the next city, breeding Pokemon, battling other trainers, or simply enjoying the view, you will always be having fun. Regardless of my opinion though, almost everything gameplay wise was done perfectly. The battle system was great, leveling up your Pokemon was fun, and even standing in the middle of a city/town enjoying the view was fun! The gameplay definitely deserves a 10.

MULTIPLAYER : 9/10

Multiplayer was great, as the battles between you and your friends could get very intense if you were both of near equal skill. Training your Pokemon to use in Multiplayer battles was a blast, and so was destroying your friends with your team. Oh, I didn't mention trading yet! In Pokemon Gold you could trade Pokemon with your friends, which was a great thing. Trading Pokemon with friends was pretty fun too! The only thing keeping Multiplayer from being a 10/10 is the fact that you could only trade and battle with people near you, because of the link cable. Very good Multiplayer regardless.

REPLAYABILITY : 10/10

The replayability in this game is infinite. No matter how long you play this game, you will never run out of things to do, whether it be filling up your Pokedex, Breeding Pokemon, Raising that Oh-So-Powerful team to battle friends with, or just hunting for rare and shiny Pokemon. I spent over 500 hours on this game and never even finished it. Incredible replayability for an incredible game.

OVERALL : 10/10

Wow, for a game of this time, especially on a hand-held, Pokemon Gold was amazing. I can't believe it's been 7 years since this game was released, and it hasn't aged a day. Amazing Game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/16/07

Game Release: Pokemon Gold Version (US, 10/14/00)