Review by 1afteranother

"Pokemon Gold:Best in the series"

Well, I would like to state that this is the greatest game in the series. I have played it many times and have loved it every time, and been able to play it differently every time. Now, lets get on to why.

Gameplay: 10/10. The way you play it, all of the different attacks, all of the different Pokemon. The ability to breed Pokemon with others to get some new baby Pokemon. The game has all sorts of different things that make it unique other then that. There is the new Pokegear that lets you get rematches instead of having to face all of the same trainers over and over again. You can hold up to 10 different numbers. You can now have day/night so you can tell what time it is, and it even has it get darker at night, and lighter at day. Some Pokemon can even only evolve during day and night. There is also the new happiness factor, where as some Pokemon can only evolve when happy.

Sound: 8/10. The sound is good but not state-of-the-art. The reason I say this is it is a huge step-up from the previous games, but can get very repetitive. And during the battle scenes, all that you hear is the same thing over and over again. A reason this isn't lower is that all Pokemon have a different sound. You can determine what Pokemon it is JUST by the sound. Also, all of the moves have unique sounds also. All I have to say is that it may become repetitive, but the other sounds make it completely better.

Story: 10/10: This is the best storyline out of every single Pokemon game out there. I don't want to give much away, but all I can say is wow. You never know whats going to happen next, and there is always a twist. There are so many side quest, that it will keep you busy for a long time. The side quests sometimes tie into the story line in some way, but other times just are a story on there own. I love to just try to do them a different way each time I start a new game. Also, you have a rival that is just terrible to Pokemon and wants to be the best in the world, but then learns that nothing good comes from torturing them, and just tries normal.

Replay Value: 10/10. This game has a huge replay value. You can pick a different starter each time, and you can't get the others unless you trade from a whole other game. That on it's own gives it 3 times replay. Plus, you can do side quests differently each time, and that should keep you busy for a while. Also, even doing the same side quests and picking the same starter, because you can just train different Pokemon each run-through. There are 251 this series, and you can pick 6 each team. Imagine how many different combination's that is.

In the end, I give this game a 10/10. It is a great game that any Pokemon fan should buy. Pick it up cheap at a used game store, and you should be good to go and give it a shot.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/02/09

Game Release: Pokemon Gold Version (US, 10/14/00)