Review by hyper_squirrel

"Does it still hold up two generations later?"

Pokemon Gold. The Gold/Silver/Crystal generation is widely considered one of the best, if not THE best, of the Pokemon games. With the new remakes coming out, people are flocking to find their dusty old Gameboy Colors and Pokemon cartridges. But does Gold still hold up after nearly ten years?

Gameplay -

The gameplay of Pokemon Gold is wonderful, and in fact it is much faster paced than the recently released Platnum version. Everything is paced out nicely and it's a great deal of fun to catch and battle Pokemon while travelling the countries of Johto and Kanto. My one complaint is that Kanto is extremely streamlined compared to Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and many things are removed, such as the Safari Zone, Seafoam Islands, and the Unknown Dungeon. Also, Mt. Moon and Viridian Forest are now much smaller than before. Once you reach the Elite Four the rest of the game becomes incredibly easy as well.

Still, the gameplay is good enough to merit a 9/10, despite the aforementioned flaws. The game is so much fun to play that those problems will most likely not deter your enjoyment at all.

Graphics -

The graphics are a big step up from the first generation of Pokemon games. In the past the world was tinted red or blue, depending on which version you were playing. Now everything is in full color, and for the time period the game was released in there's nothing to complain about at all. I give them a solid 9/10.

Sound -

The sound is great. The music is incredibly catchy and features some of the best songs in Pokemon games to date, as well as some wonderful remixes of the songs of Kanto from the first generation. From the opening sequence to the ending credits, these are the kinds of songs that will stick in your head for years to come. 10/10, without a doubt.

Play Time/Replayability -

The game itself lasts for as long as you want it to. Sure, there are credits and a finale of sorts, but the game doesn't end after that. You can still go around catching Pokemon and battling for as long as you want. This gets a 10/10, because I doubt you'll ever get tired of playing Pokemon Gold.

Raw Average -- 9.5/10
Final Average -- 9/10

I'd love to round up to a 10/10, but Pokemon Gold is not perfect. It has its flaws, but it's still a great game and it's held up over the last decade to still be a fun and engrossing game today. Buy or Rent? Buy. Trust me, it's worth it. The only thing you should keep in mind is that the internal battery may be dead, so check into getting it replaced before you do.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/15/09

Game Release: Pokemon Gold Version (US, 10/14/00)