Review by Numan_lord

"The best GBC game I own, and one of the best 2D Zelda games out there!"

When my old next-door neighbour got The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, I was blown away at the kind of game play these kinds of games offered. Overtime she let me borrow her Link's Awakening game but I only just got past the first dungeon because she wanted it back two days later. That was fair enough it was hers after all. So I begged my parents to get me a Zelda game for my Game Boy Colour also. That Christmas I unwrapped my present and received “The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.” I immediately began playing and was happy to finally have my own Zelda game.

However the experience didn't last long because it wasn't the only game I got that Xmas. Many of my other relatives gave me games too. At the time I was still in Primary School and preferred Mario games over anything. So Zelda got quickly shoved aside. Then when I eventually got back to playing Zelda I had lost track of what to do and where to go. So for years it was shelved and barely touched. However just recently I got the urge to start playing it again and stick to it this time and that's exactly what I did.

Graphics: 9 / 10
For Game Boy Colour graphics they are quite cute. That's a word I rarely use unless I'm referring to a cute girl. Definitely colourful and so they should be, this game was specifically designed for play on the GBC. All the environments from the towns, caves, dungeons, and the beach all have been crafted so well and even the trees look cool especially the ones located in Subrosia. Subrosia by the way is also a well-crafted environment that seems to be a volcanic world. All the enemies and the people are what makes the graphics as I said before cute. The graphics are definitely an awesome part of this awesome game.

Sound: 9 / 10
At times the music is heroic, mysterious, calm, scary and adventurous. This is the kind of music Zelda games are known for. Why? Because Zelda games are all about adventure and action so it's only the right the music is too. And the sound effects aren't that bad either.

Storyline: 9.5 / 10
Pretty amazing in my opinion. Link is summoned to the land of Holodrum in order to save Din a young woman who is also the oracle of Seasons from Onox the General of Darkness. But all is not what it seems as you'll find out when you progress further into the game. The story is very catchy and it will leave you with a cliffhanger ending telling you to continue the story in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages. That's exactly what I recommend you do after completing this great game.

Characters: 10 / 10
Link the guy in green and white with the pointy ears. He is the hero of this great game. Then there is Din who has the power to control the seasons and she also knows how to dance it seems to be more of a passion to her than keeping the seasons in order. The big baddie is General Onox the ruler of Darkness who roams around in his heavy golden armour. Wait till you see his Dark Dragon form that's very awesome. Expect to meet many others too such as Maple the apprentice witch and the Gorons for just a few. Oh and Princess Zelda will only appear after you have beat both Oracle games. It's funny how she is in the manual but not in the stand-alone game.

Gameplay: 9.5 / 10
Expect to use the sacred Rod of Seasons often as it is a core element of the game, hence the game being Oracle of Seasons. Changing the seasons will be required to progress further in the game but first you must acquire all four seasons. Otherwise it's just the standard stuff Zelda offers that never gets old: Sword slashing and solving annoying puzzles and epic mini-boss and boss battles. Also the magnetic gloves and slingshot are a new feature to this game and work great definitely spicing up the gameplay here. Capcom one of my favourite game companies had a bit to do with the development as well so expect a few different things but overall Nintendo and Capcom did a fantastic job working together. The gameplay is astonishing for a portable Zelda game.

Replay Value: 8 / 10
Personally I'd rather go play Oracle of Ages now as I beat this. But if you have all ready played both or even Link's Awakening DX I'm sure a replay will be wanted from Oracle of Seasons it's just that good a game.

Overall: 9.5 / 10
Like I all ready said Capcom and Nintendo both did a great job. With such adventurous dungeons and lovable characters Oracle of Seasons remains to be my favourite 2D Zelda game and it was also my first Zelda game. If you want a good game for your old Game Boy Colour or GBA then Zelda Seasons is the one to go for. Also I'd try and get Ages too trust me you'll want the other after you beat this legend.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/10

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (AU, 12/31/01)