Review by Mr Food

"Zelda never fails to disappoint me...no exception here"

Note: All mentions of Link's Awakening are referring to the DX version.

I bought this game just because it's a Zelda game. I can always trust Zelda games to be great and this time is no exception. Game Boy Zeldas have always been very different from their console cousins, but that doesn't diminish their quality. Game Boy Zeldas have their own way about themselves and it's hard to explain. Maybe it's the way the adventures go, with the different items, and the side quests that have you trading items with people throughout the game. But that's not important. What's important, is that this is one of the best Zelda games I've ever played. I couldn't put it down for even one second. Every waking moment I spent, I was playing this game. What makes it so good?

Visuals: 7
What can I say? It's Game Boy. It's an 8-bit handheld so the graphics can't be that good. They are good on Game Boy standards, however. The graphics aren't that much different from Link's Awakening, but there is a slight improvement. The game takes full advantage of the color capabilities unlike Link's Awakening. The detail throughout the seasons is pretty amazing. For 8-bits, this game looks astounding.

Sound: 6
Again, it's a Game Boy, so the sound can't be too good to begin with. But the sound lives up to the Game Boy's full potential for sound. The sounds are pretty much exactly the same from Link's Awakening, right down to the sword slash. The sound is improved a little from it's predecessor, but that's expected since it came out 2-3 years later.

Ingenuity: 10
This game is so original as far as Zeldas go, and that's what makes it so fun to play. In past Zeldas, you traveled through time, this one you travel through the four seasons to solve puzzles. This game can be linked with its counterpart, Oracle of Ages, and the quest can be continued from one game to the other. You can also gain secrets in the second quest and link back to find out what they're for. There is an underground world called Subrosia that you can explore and interact with. They even have their own currency which makes rupees useless there. This game raised the bar for future Zeldas as far as innovative ideas goes.

Replay: 10
Like I said before, you can link the two games together and continue your quests from one game to the other. Sure, to play the whole adventure will cost about $60, but it's definitely worth it. After you finish either game, just link it to the other and start over. It practically explains its replay value itself!

My only gripe is that Seasons is a tad short so people who bought Ages first might be a little disappointed. Also, Ages is more puzzle oriented and Seasons is more Action oriented, so watch for more enemies in Seasons. Overall, it's a great game and I look forward to future Zelda adventures because I know I won't be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/15/01, Updated 06/15/01