Review by Ice84

"The new adventure of Link couldn't be better!"

It has been a while since we last played The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. However, the waiting for seeing another Zelda was not in vain. Now we have another excellent game for the Gameboy Color about the Legend of Zelda. Of course, I’m talking about the great game The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is. Well, Oracle of Ages is another great game, but if this review is about Oracle of Seasons, I have to talk about it. So let’s begin.

Story 10/10
Well, the story is, without any doubt, excellent. You have to save Din, the Oracle of Seasons, from the evil general Onox, or else we the land of Holodrum will have a total chaos with the seasons. The way this is told to you is very good also. While playing, you watch with some cinema displays how the story is happening. By playing only one of the Oracles, you will see that the story is excellent, but by playing both in a “linked-game”, you get an even more excellent story! This is why I rate the story with a perfect 10.

Gameplay 9/10
If you played Link’s Awakening, you won’t have any problem playing Oracle of Seasons. The controls are exactly the same. With these controls, you’ll be delighted throughout the game. But, you may be asking yourselves why I gave it a 9, if the controls are very good. Well, this is because there are some parts that you have to switch constantly from item to item, and this is something I don’t like very much. Well, that’s not very important when playing the game. I think you won’t buy a game just because in a certain part you have to use 4 items at the same time. But, as I said before, playing Oracle of Seasons is very easy and entertaining too.

Challenge 10/10
If you want challenge, you will find all the challenges you want in this game. There are levels where you have to solve many puzzles that will cause a headache to you. Some of the bosses will require everything you have in order to defeat them. Even there are parts in a level that probably will make you throw away your gameboy if you don’t have a good level of experience. But this is only the beginning. The mission of collecting all the 64 rings and every single item in the game adds a lot more of challenge to the game. Because all of this, you won’t get disappointed by the challenge, especially of you played Link’s Awakening. Oracle of Seasons has even more challenge than Link’s Awakening.

Audio and Video 10/10
The audio is also excellent. It creates an atmosphere that is accord to the story. You will find some tunes similar to the previous games of The Legend of Zelda. The sound is so good that you should hear it every time. Even the sound becomes very important in certain parts of the game. On the other hand, graphics are excellent also. They are very similar to those of Link’s Awakening, but with a lot much color. There are cinema displays that are really good. And some effects are even better. For example, the fire effect during a cinema display is really good. I don’t think this game needs better graphics than the ones it has. They are simply some of the best in all Gameboy Color history.

Replay Value 10/10
Surely, Oracle of Seasons is a game that you will not stop playing. Once you have beaten it, you have to play it again if you want everything. And you need both Oracles for that. There are missions that will keep you playing both games simultaneously. But, if you only managed to buy Oracle of Seasons, if you beat it, you will probably want to play it again and again. I’m sure of it.

Overall 10/10
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is really an excellent game for the Gameboy Color. Probably it is one of the best games. I really recommend buying it, and both Oracles if you have enough money. By renting the game, you will only waste your money, because you will surely want the game after playing it. So, if you have the opportunity, buy one of the best games for the portable system of Nintendo. You won’t get disappointed. And as my review says, the new adventure of Link couldn’t be better!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/01, Updated 09/15/01