Review by Baldo

"Too much of a G/S remake"

Pokemon Crystal is basically the third wheel of Pokemon Gold and Silver. Much like Pokemon Yellow was to Red and Blue. Crystal is a great game, but if you already have Gold or Silver, you don't really need to pick up Crystal.

Gameplay - 10/10

What can I say? Gotta catch 'em all is a tried and true formula for creating good games. Crystal plays out exactly like Gold and Silver. You travel across the world battling trainers, catching pokemon, and collecting gym badges until you become the world's greatest trainer. An interesting new concept is the addition of the Battle Tower, which unlike fighting the other trainers in the game, actually provides a challenging place to test your skills.

Story - 6/10

Boy gets pokemon. Boy sets out to collect badges. Boy collects other pokemon in the process. This is basically all there is except now the story should read: Boy/Girl...etc. Let's face it, Pokemon's story has never been its most gripping aspect, Nintendo has left the story to the TV show and the movies for development.

Graphics/Visual Effects - 9/10

Pokemon Crystal does boast some nice layouts and beautiful colors. It also has incorporated something new; each pokemon now has their own battle animation that they perform at the beginning of each battle and when you select them on the status screen. This is a nice feature, but the old stationary pokemon of Gold and Silver suited me just fine too.

Audio - 7/10

The cheery beats that fill the Pokemon world are good enough to listen to for a little awhile, but after some time, you'll find yourself turning down the volume of your GBC.

Replay Value - 10/10

The Replay Value in Crystal is very good, as it is in all Pokemon games. Each time you restart, you can choose different pokemon to catch and train along the way, therefore increasing the diversity each time you play the game.

To Be or Not To Be?

Truthfully, if you own Gold or Silver, you shouldn't purchase Pokemon Crystal. It simply is not diverse enough from G/S. Unless your a diehard pokemaniac or you haven't purchased Gold or Silver, stay away from Pokemon Crystal.

Overall - 8/10

It turns out to be an 8.4 and generally I would round that up to a 9, but in this case, Pokemon Crystal just doesn't demonstrate enough to evoke that little boost. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pokemon Crystal is too similar to Gold and Silver. Personally, I'd wait for a pokemon game to come out on GBA.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/16/01, Updated 08/20/01