Review by takira the mage

"Mabie I can finally be called"

Although I'd hate to admit it, the Pokemon games are pretty
good.
But, (almost) every Pokemon game is a remake of another one (mmmmmmm... cash cow).
This is just like Pokemon Yellow compared to Pokemon red/blue... it's the same game only with a few changes (like being able to play as a girl).

Basically, Professor Elm gives you a Pokemon, and you must run an errand for him in return. When you do, you come back only to find out that Elm's lab was robbed by your new rival... better than in the Red/blue/yellow versions, which is why I give it a 7.

Keeping in mind that this is a GBC game and not a GBA game, it's actually pretty good-looking. The Pokemon are drawn really well and they even move sometimes, and the sprites are half-decent.

*yawns* It loses a point for being almost exactly the same as last time (although people say different things if you play as a girl than if you play as a boy), and I took off the other points for the sometimes tediously boring things people say and the turn taking battle system... and don't even get me started on how stupid the very end (after you beat both leagues) of the game is (I won't wreck it for you, but it it the stupidest thing I've ever seen).

You know... usually tinny, Game Boy-ish music... some of the music is lame, but the final boss music is good.

Control: 10/10
Not much to it. You walk around using the D-pad, and then you get into a fight and use the A button to choose what you want to do. Almost anyone can do it.

Replay Value: 5/10
It's one of those games that you finish, then suddenly want to play again a few months (or mabie years) later.

Buy or Rent?
Stay away from this game if you hate Pokemon, or if you have Pokemon Gold and/or Silver.
However, if you're a girl (like me) you should rent this (or get the rom) just to get to play as a girl... at leist then everyone doesn't refer to you as ''sir'' or ''him'' anymore.
Also, if you are a Pokemaniac and you must have every Pokemon game no matter how stupid it is, then buy it.

OVERALL:6.5 (rounded up to 7)
A great game, as long as you don't mind that it's just Pokemon GS with a new name and charactor...

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/16/02, Updated 03/16/02