Review by e1337x

"One of the best games ever!"

I loved this RPG! It's one of the best ever! I know it is a sort of remake from Gold and Silver, but I have to ask—who really cares if it is a remake of Gold and Silver? There are some better things in this game. What we're judging this game by is the Gameplay, Control, Difficulty, Story, etc. while other people judge it how it is too similar to Gold and Silver. That's so stupid. I'll tell you how good this game is in my review.

Gameplay - 9/10
I do understand the people who say that all you do in this game is walk and walk, on grass, in caves, through cities...and then all you do is battle wild Pokémon and Pokémon trainers. Then all you do is gym battles. But what is the really point of this game? You. have. to. train. your. Pokémon. That is the real experience of the game! You have to level up your Pokémon, to make them stronger than ever. Plus you can catch any Pokémon you desire with Pokéballs or Master balls (gameshark's the key). Most of you would've used a gameshark when you first played this game. I did too. But when I played it over again, I didn't use gameshark because I knew what was going to happen in the game so I was confident. This is probably the best gameboy color game ever! After you become Pokemon Master in this game, you can even go to Kanto. (the place in Pokémon Yellow, Red, and Blue.) There you can also battle the gym leaders, such as Brock, Misty, L.T. Serge, etc.

Control - 10/10
What could be wrong about the control? You can ride a bike. You can walk in all four directions. You can talk to people. There's nothing wrong with the control! The controls are in your control at all times.

Difficulty - 8/10
This game isn't hard? Well, it wouldn't be if you hadn't used a gameshark. Yes, when you feel that your Pokémon are left behind and that you're going to lose, you'll have to battle the weak grass Pokémon to level your Pokémon up! It's so exhausting! That takes effort and patience, so you're definitely going to use a gameshark at that time! That's why it doesn't feel any difficult for you. Try the game again, and you'll see how hard it is; buying items when you're low on money, battling trainers when your Pokémon are nothing against theirs, leveling up your Pokémon's experience in the grass (which takes a LONG time) and battling Gym leaders.

Story - 10/10
Just like the other Pokemon games, this one has the same story. It's about you (in the game) and you want to be the greatest Pokémon trainer, that is, Pokemon Master, but that is only when Professor Oak gives you a Pokédex. Then Professor Elm tells you to go on your own journey, to the road of Pokémon League. You have to have eight Johto Gym badges to enter the Pokémon league. Each gym is in each city or town. There is a reason why Pokémon Gold and Silver were remade into, ''Pokémon Crystal.'' Every Pokémon RPG in gameboy color represented a Pokémon. (i.e. Charmander for red, Squirtle for blue, Pikachu for yellow, Houou for Gold, and Lugia for Silver.) Pokémon Crystal represents Suicune. Yes, Suicune. There is a person named Eusine in this game, and he has been looking for Suicune for about a decade (Talk about that! @_@). But he's never found Suicune. But later you get to battle Suicune and, if you catch it, it's all yours! Muahahah!

Graphics - 10/10
I know how people would judge the graphics. But doesn't anyone notice there is some improvement in the graphics? In a Gameboy Color's point of view, these graphics are excellent! In Pokémon Yellow, in a battle, your Pokémon would look pixelized. But in Pokémon Crystal, there is nothing wrong with the graphics. I give it a ten out of ten!

Sound - 9/10
The sounds are all right. When you change routes, the sound usually changes. When you enter a new city or town, the sound changes. There is nothing wrong with the sound. The music is pretty good. It's not annoying, but it does get annoying when you enter a battle with a trainer. The battle music is terrible! Anyway, there are musics you can choose to hear on your Pokégear! Even the Pokéflute is included! (Wake up Snorlax!)

Replayability - 9/10
Definitely! The first time you play a game, you probably use gameshark. When you get to know the game and you've finished it, you play all over again, without gameshark. Plus there are three Pokémon you can choose from! The three new Pokémon. This game is awesome!

Buy or Rent?
Are you crazy? You want to buy it! If you've never played an RPG, then forget it (@.@). If you have, then you're going to love this one! Go ahead and buy it! You can even download it from a site and play it on a gameboy emulator. Download the Rom if you're not so comfortable about wasting your money. My best suggestion would be to buy it.

Overall - 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/02, Updated 07/08/02