Review by peach freak

"An awesome remake of Gold and Silver"

Pokemon Crystal is a remake of Pokemon Gold and Silver. When I first played this game, I thought it was cool, then played Gold and Silver, but I preferred this game over them two. Read below to my review, and see what a great game this game is.

These graphics are much better than Gold and Silver ones. The Pokemon have been designed well, and some of them have been redesigned a lot better, such as Entei and Raikou. In battle, the trainers look better than their Red/Blue/Yellow style too. Outside of that, the graphics are colorful and easy to see. The only reason I gave this section a 9 is because there are some dark areas in the game, which requires a certain move to illuminate that room to see the area better. Plus, lots of areas in this game have been redesigned too, mostly the Dragon's Den, the Ice Path, and the Burned Tower, and the Ice Path looks a lot more better. When you do a move on the Pokemon, the animation of the move hitting the enemy looks a like better than it did in Red/Blue/Yellow.

The gameplay is almost the exact same thing as Gold and Silver, but this gameplay is a lot better. There are new features in this game, and some of them are good, so-so, and not so good. From start, you pick your starting Pokemon, and then you head onto other towns, fighting trainers, catching Pokemon, and collecting the 8 Gym Badges. Sometimes, you'll need to do something before you take on that city's Gym Leader, such as defeat Team Rocket. Then, after you've collected the 8th badge, you get to go face the Elite Four, and I hope you're ready for them. Just like all other Pokemon games, you can only catch certain Pokemon in this game. Also, at the beginning, you now have to option to play as a boy or a girl. And, you can give your Pokemon items to hold, which is a good idea to do.

Then, you can use TMs to use on your Pokemon, which teaches them the move the TM contains. There are also HMs, which are almost made up of useless moves (except for Surf and Fly). So for the HMs, I would catch a Pokemon you're not going to use, and then teach it to that Pokemon, and use it when you need to. Plus, you can get phone numbers from trainers, and they'll call if they wanna battle, have something for you, Pokemon Swarms, and other stuff.

Sound Effects: 9/10
The sound effects in this game are good. Pokemon have good cries (when they are sent to battle), and when you use different types of moves, they have neat sound effects. All other sound effects aren't bad either.

Music: 10/10
I really liked the music in this game. Gym music is awesome, and when you encounter Entei or Raikou in a battle, there's new battle music for battling them, and the music is really good. The normal battle music is good, and some of the city music is also good. When you catch a Pokemon, the music is not bad either. All around in this section, the music is great.

Replayability: 4/10
I'm telling you, it's boring playing this game again. If you have a lot of owned Pokemon on your Pokedex, or you have really good Pokemon in your roster, I would suggest not to start over, especially because you can only have 1 file on the entire game. Or, you could start the game over and have a new Pokemon roster, and try doing different things in the game. I have good Pokemon, and my Pokedex is almost complete, so there's no way starting over. Ever. So restart this game at your own risk.

Rent or Buy?
I would suggest buying this game, you'll love it. Also, in some Wal-Mart stores, you might get Pokemon Crystal free if you buy a normal GameBoy Advance.

This game is great. It has good graphics, the new features are cool, good gameplay, awesome music and sound effects, and a boring replayability.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/27/03, Updated 02/17/04