Review by silent hillian

"Now you can steal cars...from your car!"

Grand Theft Auto. We all know what it is. It's a felony punishable by 16 months or two or three years in a state prison, a fine of up to one hundred thousand dollars, or both. It's also one of the sweetest games ever to grace your PS-X. And now you can play it on your GameBoy Color.

In GTA, you are a lone criminal, doing jobs for other gangs, and stealing cars for no reason. The basic idea in GTA is to answer the pay phones (don't worry, you don't have to pay anything) and do jobs for the rival gangs throughout Liberty City. These jobs often require you to steal cars and drive people from point A to point B, or to kill rival gang members.

Plot: 6/10
What can I say? You answer phones, you steal cars, you kill people. Repeat if necessary. I mean, it's a great game, but I'll admit it's pretty hard to come up with a good plot for a game with a name like Grand Theft Auto.

What were you expecting? It's a GameBoy Color. Actually, considering that it's a GameBoy Color, the graphics aren't half bad. There is the classic top-down camera angle. In my opinion, you can see the character and the cars just fine. Of course, you may have some trouble finding a car at all. This is, of course, because it's just a GameBoy Color, and it's impossible to put too many things on the screen at once. But Rockstar does well considering what they have to work with.

Sound/Music: 8/10
You may have to turn the volume all the way up on your GameBoy Color, but it's there. And it's not bad either. When walking around you may not hear any music, but you will when you steal a car. What's great is that the music changes with each car. The music for the taxi is different than that of the sports cars. I was surprised at how much music there is, and how good it sounds.

Not too much wrong here. Now, I'll admit, it took me AN HOUR to figure out how to actually steal other people's cars (I would've read the manual, but I got the game used, and it didn't come with one.) But if you've played either of the first 2 GTAs, you shouldn't have too many problems. My only complaint is that you have to push down on your D-Pad to go backwards/in reverse. You may be asking yourself why I'm complaining about this. 'Why? That seems to make sense.' Well, because the D-Pad for the GameBoy Color is so small, it's very difficult to push both down and right/left when you need to turn around in reverse. Other than that, pretty much everything's OK.

Replay Value: 9/10
I mean, it's Grand Theft Auto. I don't know about you, but I can never steal cars too many times. It's just fun to carjack someone for no reason, and drive that car over a bridge into the river. Er...well...it's fun for me. =P

Rent or Buy?! Well, considering that there are about zero places that rent out GameBoy Color games, you're probably gonna end up buying this thing anyway. But there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I recommend that you buy it. It's a good port, with great replay value. And if it turns out that you DON'T like the game, you can always return it. You did keep the receipt, didn't you?

GTA is a very fun game. It's always fun to play, and the replay value is through the roof. But it's just a GameBoy Color game, so obviously, the graphics aren't state-of-the-art, and the controls are a little awkward. But whether you own all the GTA games, or just heard about them in this review, buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/28/01, Updated 12/28/01