Review by ChaosDemon

"Only like Final Fantasy RPGs? Maybe you should give this a try..."

I was a Pokemon freak when I was a little younger, and boy, I can now say: ''Why the hell was I wasting my time on those little yellow rats?'' I thought I was doomed. When I became older, I was looking for an RPG that was REALLY good. Then came the day, my NP came, I looked at the preview of this game called ''Magi-Nation'' and miracously, the main character's name was my name! It was 'love at first sight' as they say, so here comes my two cents:

The gameplay of Magi-Nation is simply amazing, from the time you summon your Dream Creature to the time you boast at your reflected glory of winning a battle. When you're fighting somebody you must go through a LOT of thinking, should I summon another DC? Or cast a Spell at the opposition? The strategy is all there, something that Pokemon games are lacking. In short? Magi-Nation gameplay = good.

The Story of the game is very unique in many, many ways. Instead of the hero being someone valiant, speaking a ''Shakespear caliber of language'', Tony Jones is just an average shmo that doesn't have many hero traits. The story can EASILY hook you in with a dark background that you must uncover as you progress in your adventure.

Stuff that doesn't fit in any other categories: 10/10
Here's a new section that I decided to create. Sure, there's the gameplay and play control, but what about the other things you say? There are many small jokes that might make you laugh your pants off or make you roll your eyes. The good people at Interactive Imagination have done a great job in making many 'extra attributes', such as helping people you don't really have to, but just to get a better ending and things like that.

Re-playability: 8/10
Many people think that Magi-Nation lacks maybe just one thing: not enough re-playability. But in my most humble opinion, that's just not true. What do you guys want? After beating the game, you can try and grab each of the 80-something Dream Creatures that exist in the game, collect all the spells, explore for many things that you've missed, or just to get a better ending than before.

Play-Control: 10/10
Being an RPG game, it has to be pretty hard to make a game so bad that the play control is something nobody can stand. The play control has quick responses and isn't too difficult to figure out how to play (seeing the Gameboy Colour only has 4 buttons :P

Is it easy to pick it up and play?
In short, yes. Even a gamer who hasn't even _played_ an RPG game can _still_ pick this up and get right to it. The game tells you how to play with a LOT of ease, it evens supply a good training program operated by a
loud-mouth! :)

Buy or rent?
BUY! It's actually really, really hard to beat this game in like three days. There are over three regions to explore and not mention the huge mazes that lie within the world of Magi-Nation. As mentioned before, obtaining each of the 80 something dream creatures is good enough to keep you busy for a good week or so.

I can easily say that this game could be the best RPG I ever played on the Gameboy Colour. With every aspect of the game shining like gold, it's actually almost impossible to give away this game over Christmas, because
you'll be cherishing it like you do your mom's Sunday-morning breakfasts. It's a must-have for any RPG fan.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/29/01, Updated 12/29/01