Review by JordanM

"Super Speed, Super Game"

I was a "late-bloomer" so to speak with the Sonic series, but once I caught on I was addicted! This is the game that got me hooked and I, personally, think it is THE best classic game ever. Fanboyism aside, I looked at this game from a detailed, professional standpoint and found that it is an almost perfect title. There are very few things that subtract from the quality of this classic! So, here are the things I noticed from a reviewer's standpoint and not just my own "dreamy" perspective of the game.

First off, the game is pretty straightforward. You don't even have to read the background story in the manual (which is basically the only mention of it) to truly enjoy the game. Sonic is a super-fast hedgehog that is trying to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman. Dr. Eggman has turned innocent animals into fighting robots that are set on world domination. It's up to Sonic to free the animals, beat Dr. Eggman, and collect the Chaos Emeralds. The last of which is a rather difficult task. It is almost impossible to do, but once done, you'll feel VERY relieved. Doing so even gives you another special level at the end of the game.

The game is split into "Acts" and "Zones." There are three Acts in every Zone. The game is played from a side view like any ordinary platformer from the early 90's. It's Sonic's speed that makes things unique! You'll feel like you're flying through the levels at some points, but you're really going normal speed. Well, normal speed for Sonic! You can even find special boots in each level to go EVEN FASTER for a short amount of time. If you collect 50 rings in a level, you can go to a special level to try and get a Chaos Emerald. The Chaos Emeralds are in a rotating maze. This is probably one of the more annoying things to accomplish, but again it's worth it. If Sonic is hit by an enemy, he looses rings. If he gets hit and he doesn't have rings, he looses a life. A simple concept that keeps the game interesting.

The music in this game is truly addictive! There are lots of unique tunes that are sure to get stuck in your head. And don't think these guys are biased: Several different styles of music are covered in the game!

The graphics are pretty advanced for their time, they are very colorful and each level has it's own unique graphic set. The game is truly a work of art in this aspect. There's never a time when things look too "pixely" or "choppy" in this game!

The game takes a while to beat, since you have to start COMPLETELY over when you get a game over, but that's okay since the levels are very replayable. You could play the game for an entire week straight and probably never get tired of these levels. You may even still be finding new stuff by then!

My final recommendation: If you haven't tried this game yet, do so now. Don't try it if you don't like platformers through. It's an awesome game that even non-gamers can get addicted to.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/14/07

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog (US, 06/23/91)