Review by BenhTheMan

"I use to think Sonic Adventure 2 was the best sonic game ever until I played Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis....."

I decided to play this game after I had finished Sonic's most recent game Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood. Once I started this game I wasn't able to stop.

Story 10/10: The story is that Eggman has captured your animal friends and have turned them into robots and has stolen the chaos emeralds. Yeah not much of a story line but hey this was 1991.

Gameplay 10/10: No doubt that the gameplay is awesome. Running around as a blue hedgehog going super fast, who wouldn't love that? But then again that is where the difficulty of this game comes from. Sonic the hedgehog is a platforming game and when going really fast it is kind of hard to jump platforms and stuff. However this game is still enjoyable to play. The special stages are unique and allow you to collect a chaos emerald each time you enter a special stage and a continue if you acquire a certain number of rings. Rings are your life gauge, if you get hit with no rings you die, if you get hit with rings you lose them all but you do get a chance to collect some back. Also items like the shield allow you to get hit without losing rings but when you are hit its gone. Also invincibility makes you....well invincible, unless you get crushed or fall down a pit. Unfortunately there are no save points in this game so if you get a game over its back to zone one for you, unless you have a continue though. The game is so fun though that I quickly saw past it. The spin dash isn't in this game if it is I haven't found a way to do it. You can roll into a ball though by pushing down one the controller I guess that is the spin dash, it does allow you to hit enemies and it makes the spin dash sound so I don't know. Either way if you haven't played this game go play it now!

Graphics: The graphics are good for its time. The backgrounds are all nicely done and detailed. The robots are well detailed and sonic is nicely detailed himself. Very good graphics for Sonic's first game.

Music: WOW! Just WOW! The music is so awesome in this game I'm not even joking. All the songs are catchy and they just make the game even more enjoyable and bring more replay value to it. I don't think I'll ever forget the music from Green Hill Zone, Spring Yard Zone, and Star Light Zone. Also Labyrinth zone's music was awesome too. ALL the music was AWESOME! It was SUPER-DEE-DUPER!

Overall: This is what sonic is about. Not those sonic games we have today, even though most of them are good they don't even come close to competing with this. This is sonic in all of his glory. So what has happened to sonic? Why don't his games kick *** has much has this one? It's because of all those dam hardcore gamers out there! Yeah I hope you are reading this hardcore gamers because this is directed towards you! Because you guys want better graphics and crap and want to blow pointless stuff up! So SEGA is focused more on their graphics and speed of Sonic then gameplay just to appeal to hardcore gamers and get more sales! WTH!!!!!! This is all your fault! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Lol well at least that's my theory. Anyways this is a game you must play. I hardly ever do optional stuff in a game and this made me want to play through it again and collect all the chaos emeralds. So if you are a fan of sonic and haven't played this game then you don't even know what sonic is truly about. SO GO PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!!!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/13/08

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog (US, 06/23/91)