Review by ChateauNoir

"Still one of the greatest platformers of all time"

Being bored last weekend and deciding what to do, I decided to clean out the attic. There, I saw something very peculiar and reminiscent. Oh my, it was my old Sega Genesis, complete with the cartridges and laden with dust. There, I saw one of my old favorite games: Sonic the Hedgehog. I was curious to play it again, and to see if I would still enjoy it despite being spoiled with PS3 graphics. Sonic the Hedgehog is still a classic: It's one game that can survive through generations and generations and still hold up as one of the best 2D platformers ever.

Story:

There's not much story, if any story here. If you don't read the instruction booklet and background info, you probably wouldn't even know there was one. So Dr. Robotnik, a morbidly obese scientist with a vendetta, captures all of Sonic's forest friends. It's up to Sonic, our little blue Hedgehog hero, to save these animals from doom. The story somewhat plays out through the gameplay. You chase Dr. Robotnik around as he flies around in hovercrafts trying to kill you. As you jump on various enemies, you free the little animals that are trapped inside. There's not much, if any story in here, but who plays Sonic for the story?

Gameplay:

You're a speedy blue Hedgehog trying to rescue your friends. You run into some obstacles along the way. What the game emphasizes on is speed and jumping, with the use of extra caution. There are tons of fun loops and rings that you can run speedily through, but be careful, because if you run too fast, you might just end up in the ball of spikes. The whole game is characterized by running really fast, collecting rings, and jumping on to varieties of platforms, loops, rings, etc. to reach the end of the level. If you get hit by an enemy, you lose the rings. If you have 0 rings and get hit, you die.

The levels are very diversified, and the gameplay doesn't get old. Dr Robotnik comes at the end of every stage, each time with a new hovercraft you're supposed to jump on. Although there's practically only one boss, he doesn't get old since all his hovercrafts are different and have a variety of moves.

Graphics:

It is truly great for its time. The art direction, the scenery is still something to appreciate even to this day. One thing I didn't like was when Sonic gets hit and loses rings, the frame rate slows down considerably that you sometimes could barely coordinate to recollect them. Overall though, each scenery is different, unique, and the graphics are wonderful for its time. When I first saw this game nearly two decades ago, I didn't think graphics could get any better.

Music:

The music is fantastic and fits each level wonderfully. The score doesn't seem tacked on like many games today, it actually has fantastic artistic value that anyone will find catchy. My favorite track is the first one on the first stage, I could even listen to that background music on my mp3 player.

Replayability:

Two decades later, I am still playing this amazing game. It doesn't seem to ever get old. If you can still find one, keep it and don't ever let it go!!

10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/27/09

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog (US, 06/23/91)