Review by SonicGamer74

"A Good Game To Start A Good Franchise!"

Ah.....Sonic The Hedgehog. A classic game that started the world's most popular video game franchise that has lasted for 21 years now (For those of you who don't get it yet, it's 2012 now.) I decided to review this game since I reviewed the game that came out 20 years after this, Sonic Generations. Read on!

Introduction:
Pretty much, this game came to life in 1990 when SEGA was looking for a new character to dethrone Alex Kidd as the company mascot & take on Nintendo's mascot, Mario. After various character designs, a blue hedgehog was created & thus, became the mascot & spawned this game 1 year later.

Story (5/10, OK):
Dr. Robotnik (Eggman as you may know him now), has stolen all the animals & put them in robots. It's up to Sonic to save them all & collect all the Chaos Emeralds before he does. Pretty basic plotline, but this plot gets overused in all the upcoming Sonic games so be prepared to see the same thing a few times.

Gameplay (8/10, Awesome):
As every Sonic fan knows, 1 factor should not be overlooked in a Sonic game & that is speed. If you don't have speed, then you don't have Sonic. You have Mario. This game was the first game ever to implement speed into a platforming game. You play as Sonic The Hedgehog, the fastest thing alive. He can spin jump, spin dash & run at a fast speed! You must use these to get past each obstical in your path to get to the end of the level, which is a spinning post with Robotnik's face on it. When you do this, you have completed the Act of said Zone. If you have 50 Rings when you hit the goal, there will be a ring. If you jump in the ring, you go to the Special Stage which you can use to get a Chaos Emerald. This makes the game enjoyable, but there are a few minor flaws. First off, Sonic doesn't move as fast as he does in the next few games. I mean, I know it was the first Sonic game, but I expect REAL speed! 2nd off is the special stages. Sometimes, they get confusing & you'll just fail at them. That's the only flaws though. Everything else is pure fun!

Graphics (7/10, Great):
For a SEGA Genesis title, the graphics are really decent & shouldn't be overlooked. The backgrounds are nice & vivid while Sonic & the character sprites move nice & smooth. There's no frame rate issues with this title as far as I know so this makes for a nice game to play with no issues attached.

Sound (7/10, Great):
Green Hill Zone. 'Nuff said. This title has some very nice tunes that anyone will remember for long periods of time! Green Hill Zone, Starlight Zone & Final Zone will be the most memorable Zones you'll remember out of all of them! Sound effects are your typical *boing* *ring* *chain saw* noises you've probably heard in the other Sonic The Hedgehog titles, but they never get old since this game is a classic!

Play Time (9/10, Outstanding):
Since you'll probably die a few times before truly beating the game, this score goes higher than usual! It takes a while to beat the game, usually about 2 weeks to maybe even 1 year! You will be playing this for a while, I guarantee it!

Replayability (8/10, Awesome):
Once you beat the game, it's still fun to play through the stages & beat your old scores! Sometimes, collecting the Chaos Emeralds can keep you busy so that's a plus to playing this game. Expect to be playing for a long time.

Final Recommendation:
I say buy. If you have a SEGA Genesis, then it'll be easy to buy & play! If you don't have a SEGA Genesis, then buy Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, SEGA Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or the game on Wii Virtual Console, Playstation Network or Xbox LIVE Arcade! Just....Please. Do NOT buy Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis, OK? The game lags a lot & it's not a true version of this classic title!

Final Score:8/10. Great!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog (US, 06/23/91)