Review by theshinerufus

"The fastest thing alive speeds onto the Genesis"

Sonic the Hedgehog has served as the SEGA mascot for many, many years. You probably know him, whether you collect the action figures, play the games or watch the tv series. But, none of that would be, if not for this game. Sonic the Hedgehog began his long courier in 1991, with this self-titled classic.

Graphics
Spectacular. 2D bliss. Sonic has amazing animation and speed and all the enemies, levels, environment and the boss (Dr. Robotnik) have excellent graphics. 100%

Sound/Music
The sound-bites are fun and just perfect. The music is excellent and I suggest you download the MIDI file. Great themes include..all of them actually. My personal favourite is Dr. Robotnik's theme (you face Dr. Robotnik at the end of each level). 99%

Gameplay
Speed through each level, collecting rings and dodging enemies and at the end, kicking Dr. Robotnik's ass. Its great fun! For those of you who are wondering, Sonic's friend Tails does not appear in this game. He does play a role in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but this, the first in the series, has a cast limited to just Sonic and Dr. Robotnik. Each level (there are about 10..) contains two ''Acts'' which is sort of a level in its own, and a Dr. Robotnik battle. There are different elements for each level, all platforming, and on some levels there Sonic can swim. I recommend this game for ages 6 and up. 99%

Controls
Comfortorable and stable. 98%

Difficulty
The game can get very challenging, even the ROM can. The first level is simple, then the second level is where things start to get harder. Its sort of a mixture of hard and easy. Medium

Buy or Rent
If you're in any way a Sonic fan, a Genesis/MegaDrive fan, a platform fan or...a gaming fan, BUY IT!!!!

Recommendations
As you probably known, Sonic has had loads of games. The following are other Sonic Genesis games...Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic Spinball, Sonic & Knuckles, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Classics 3-in-1 (sonic 1,2 and DRMBM) and Sonic 3D Blast.There are many other Sonic games on other consoles such as the Saturn, Dreamcast and GameBoy Advance.

Pros
-Great graphics
-One of the best and most popular Genesis games ever
-Great for all ages
-Great music/sound

Cons
I couldn't think of any cons..so...I guess thats a con...

Availability
Its out of print, as are almost all of the Sonic titles. The ROM is very popular and if you're lucky you'll find this classic in a second-hand store.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/01, Updated 08/28/01