Review by Scarface

"Sonic has taken Megaman's title as the Blue Bomber! A classic game, this is."

Introduction

...After playing this game for hours and hours on end, I have only one word to say. "Wow, this game is the best!". Yes, I know that is six words. Sue me, if you have such a problem. I first played this game when I was six years old, visiting my cousin Daniel's house in Sacramento, California. I was instantly hooked after playing it for the first time, but sadly, I did not get to own it for myself until I was quite a few years older. Sonic the Hedgehog was handed into my grubby paws in the form of a birthday gift from one of my favorite cousins ( a different one than the one who introduced me to the Sonic series), and I can safely say that this was one of the best gifts I have EVER received. After I hastily crammed it into my dusty old Genesis and started playing, I was instantly hooked. Again. This game is what made the Sega Genesis heard and popular in this large world. After this, whenever I heard the word "Genesis", I picture Sonic the Hedgehog daintily waving his finger at me with one eyebrow raised. It's just that good.

Gameplay

The gameplay is relatively simple, yet very astounding and excellent. You are a spiky blue hedgehog named Sonic, who runs at the speed of sound (could you have guessed?), who is trying to save the world from this obese, evil scientist named Dr. Robotnik, who has more rolls on him than a bakery. This villain creates evil robots from poor, innocent forest creatures, and he pollutes and plagues the forest with his vile machinery. You control Sonic and navigate him through the levels, collecting golden rings as you speed by. These golden rings don't actually do anything, but if you collect 100, you gain an extra life, which always comes in handy during the occasional bout with Robotnik. There are powerups that you can attain from breaking these boxes that you can find on trees and sometimes on the ground. There are the +1, which gives Sonic an extra life, the shield, which lets Sonic get hit without losing all of his coins, the quick shoes, which lets Sonic travel even faster, and many more powerups granting cool abilities for Sonic to use.. You will find the game fast-paced and will enjoy it thoroughly. I give the gameplay ten out of ten, for it's excellence.

Controls

There are only 2 controls, and if you can't figure them out, you need help. It's simple. Jump and run. At first you might think that that would degrade the gameplay, but that's all you need for this game. Running to get by the level, and Jumping to destroy the robotic enemies that get in your way. I don't know if the controls have to rated/scored, but if they do, I'll give it nine or ten out of ten. I don't see how controls are really that important to the game, unless they are very inconveniently placed.

Graphics

For a 16 bit system, the graphics are excellent. Sonic himeself looks amazing when he is running at top speed, with his hair flowing freely and his legs spinning. The backrounds are bright, colorful, and cheery, so you will feel happy inside while playing it, just like the Mario games. They also have some sort of graphic effect that gives it "planes", so the sea looks far away by the horizon, and everything else is closer, making everything seem balanced. The graphics may look a bit blocky when you look closely, but when you're running as fast as Sonic runs, you won't have time to look closely, so it doesn't disturb you. The graphics will easily deserve ten out of ten.

Music/Sound

I just adored the sound of this game. The music was catchy, and I found myself whistling it for no reason many times. The sounds are just right, for when you get hit and when you collect rings, destroy enemies, etc... When the music is blended in with the beautiful graphics and delightful game play, you've got yourself one hell of an awesome game. I give the music ten out of ten.

Re-playability Value

I think its safe to say that you will love playing this game and instantly get hooked. Need I say more? Well, maybe I do, seeing as this review needs to be 1000 words long... It will you take you a fair amount of time to fully beat and complete the game, and you will have a great time doing it. After finally beating it, you will want to play it again and again and again.

Buy or Rent

BEST. GENESIS. GAME. EVAR! It's a must buy. There is absolutely no way you can rent this game and feel satisfied.

Conclusion

While being 16 bit and a rather old game, Sonic the Hedgehog is by far one of my most favorite games of all time. It's a must have. You will have loads and loads of fun playing this excellent game. *Goes off to play it again for the 1337th time*.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/31/05