Review by Holy Vampire

"Old game, old story, good show."

I'm reviewing this because there's nobody that has reviewed it. Don't get me wrong. I haven't played this game in a while, so if there's some inaccuracies, do not flame me. The reason I played this game in athe first place is because it was based on a favorite anime series of mine: Fist of the North Star. I thought that this old SEGA game deserved some credit. It really does, especially when you think about FotNS's previous games (yuck).

Graphics= (8) Kinda looking like Altered Beast, the graphics in this game still work fairly good. Not too detailed, but nothing was very choppy. Especially due to the time this game was made, Kenshiro had good speed in his Fist punches.

Music/Sound= (6) Typical for a Genesis. The system just doesn't have a great sound card. But, the thing that really got to me was the authentic Kyap from the Kenshiro before the game started. Music was simple MIDI type music, and the punching effects were a little odd to me.

Gameplay= (8) Not much to debate here. Jump, kick, punch. Wow. The thing that kinda made me wonder, though, is why they had the stage menu set up somewhat like Super Mario 3. I mean, not that it was a bad thing. Also, it was kind of wierd how after I beat a big green and gold guy, Kenshiro would power up. Then he would be able to use his Fist techniques. I guess it doesn't matter since it was towards the beginning of the game, but whatever.

Overall= (7) This game was confusing, but I'd like to play it again. I probably just hadn't realized that it was a Fist of the North Star game, and was wondering why this guy punched and kicked like he did. I dunno.

I looked for this at the video store a while ago, but I couldn't find it. I think the only reason that this game didn't do well was because it's heavily Japanese, and those games have a habit of not doing so well. I still don't get why, but this game would have beated Altered Beast very easily when they both first came out.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/20/03