Review by Truck_1_0_1_

"Stunning gameplay and graphics = near perfection!"

Part 2: MK II: Stunning game play and graphics = near perfection!

When this game came out, I begged my uncle to rush out immediately to blockbuster to rent it, and I played it for about 20 hours in 2 days. Absolutely loved it. Then I bought it in 99 right before I inherited my uncle's Genesis. I have probably spent 60% of my gaming experience on this franchise, 30% of that on this game. They expanded the characters from the first game, had better sounds, (much) better graphics, better moves, and better finishers (plus 2 new ones in friendships and babalities). As with all of my reviews, on to game play first.

Game play: 10/10

The game improved on every aspect of game play from the first MK, tenfold. The fighting system was unchanged though, because as Midway already knew, it was already perfect. There were new and better moves (the older moves had been upgraded and were great), and they looked a bit more realistic this time around. There still weren't combos, even though, like the first MK, you could string together moves to make some mini-combos. Plus now with 12 characters, game play was expanded so that each person ahd their own style of fighting (ex: Kitana you should use faster moves, Jax you should use more powerful moves etc.). A perfect ten. Story is next, and boy do I love the MK story.

I know what you are thinking. "MK's story is the same boring bs as every other game, blah blah." Yes, however if you just look at it for what it is, it may seem boring. If you actually get into the storyline, then you will realise that it is a fantastic story. In this game, the fighters prepare to battle a new Out world menace in Shao Khan, emperor of Out world. You must defeat him with one of the 12 characters, and they each have their own motives and reasons to why they are in the tournament. believe me, there is more than meets the eye when it comes to the MK storyline. Were the graphics as good though? Lets find out.

This game VASTLY improved in graphics from the first game, vastly. The background still remain the same (they are great), and the characters, albeit still actors, look a lot better in this game than in the first. There is no weird movement or anything in any of the moves or projectiles, and speaking of them, they look a lot more realistic, than in the first one. The background also interact with the fighting (the fatalities), and some have interesting things you have to look out for (ex: in the live woods stage, the secret fighters pop out from behind the live trees, or in the pit II, there is another fight going on where the person on the left is on fire). On to sounds.

Sounds: 9/10

The sounds are still good (IMO the best in any MK ever), and Midway was smart again in keeping the same type of sounds and music from the first game. The music is also incredulously enjoyable. There are only 6 tracks or so, but they all add to the in-game atmosphere. On to replay ability.

Replay ability: 9/10

There are loads of thing you can do int his game to beat it. First, you can beat the game with every character normally. If you enable the test modes, you can then try out each persons friendship, fatality or babality (or Fergality!). You can't want to try it yourself though, you need to enable the soak test. It is a great way to pass the time. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You have a couple of friends? Good. Grab a controller, and away you go.

Buy or rent?

#1 The day you can rent this game anywhere.
#2 Why would you not buy it? You should just own this for collection purposes.

Overall this may not be the first MK game, it is though what made the franchise take off. This was also an incredibly popular game, and a lot of people owned it (according to a Sega code book from 95, it apparently sold 15 million copies worldwide in the first week. While I doubt this, it obviously sold a lot). Stay tuned por part three in our look at the classic MK's, MK3 is next!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/06, Updated 09/11/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat II (US, 12/31/94)