Review by Valtiel43

"One of the best in the franchise"

This is such an amazing game. In my opinion it's one of the best in the whole Castlevania series. From the moment this game starts it is set apart.

The first thing to take notice of is the fact that you can pick your character from the start. To my knowledge this is one of the only games in the series that lets you do this. Both characters have their own unique abilities.

You can pick from John Morris, his weapon being the Vampire Killer Whip. You can also pick Eric Lecarde whom uses a long spear. Both characters control pretty much the same, each getting a few unique moves and attacks, they also each get unique paths through some levels. And if you collect the right power-ups, you can get a devastating special move which is completely different for each character. In my personal preference I prefer Eric, I find that he simply has a better move set.

The whole game controls pretty smoothly, there's a few parts where jumping and ducking becomes quite tedious. It's nothing that will ruin the experience though.

This Castlevania is a lot more fast paced than the others at the time too. The action can get pretty intense when you're dodging fire balls and trying to kill an Axe Lord or some other deadly enemy. The game isn't too difficult though. Some of the boss fights can get pretty tough towards the end, and most bosses require some thinking to defeat, each one has their own weak point you must exploit to defeat. This can take a few tries.

The graphics are very good, and in my opinion some of the best in a 2D Castlevania. The whole time you're surrounded by this dark atmosphere with evil little touches all through the environment. The music is great. Some of the best I've heard on the Genesis. It really completes the game.

So here you've got a fun game with great graphics and music, some really fun and intense moments that bring a good challenge, and your typical Castlevania story. My only real complaint is how short the game is. If you really try, you could most likely beat this game in an hour. You also don't get a very good selection of sub-weapons in this game. It's rather disappointing compared to others in the series.

It's still a great game to play. If you've ever enjoyed any Castlevania, then I highly recommend you play this.

Controls: 8/10
Sound & Music: 10/10
Replay Value: 7/10

I would give this game an overall score of 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/30/08

Game Release: Castlevania: Bloodlines (US, 03/17/94)