Review by Baradur

"The Best Game For The Sega Genesis!"

I've played the Jurassic Park games for the Super Nintendo before, and frankly, I wasn't very impressed. The original JP was pretty good, but the side scrolling JP 2 was what I preferred. When I heard that there was another Jurassic Park game, similar to JP 2, for the Genesis, I thought it would be worth checking out. Little did I know what I was in for. This older game completely left The SNES Jurassic Parks in the dust. Here's why...

Gameplay 10/10: Jurassic Park has one very nice feature to it that can't be found on the SNES version: You can play as a velociraptor. Aside from playing the raptor, you can also play as Dr. Grant, who is also pretty cool to use since he has so many weapons. Like most of the games around that time, this is a side scroller game. As for the control, it's okay. I just wish that the characters would move faster.

Challenge 10/10: One thing all the Jurassic Park games have in common is the challenge. This is a hard game! Of course, if you play as the raptor, then the game is obviously going to be easier, since all you have to do to kill something is jump on it. If you play as Grant, then you've chosen the harder game, as Grant can only kill something if he shoots it a billion times.

Story 9/10: Since there are basically two different games in this title, the raptor game and the Grant game, then there are going to be two different stories. I'll explain them both in as much detail as I possibly can:

Grant: Grant's stuck on Isla Nublar, and he's trying to find a way off of it without getting mauled by a dinosaur.

Raptor: The velociraptor, for some random reason, is following Dr. Grant all over the island so he can kill him.

Graphics 10/10: When compared to other Genesis games, this title definitely has some of the better graphics. However, after playing the SNES Jurassic Parks, it becomes easy to point out all of the inferiorities that the Sega version has in the graphics department.

Sound 10/10: Again the SNES has the advantage, this time in the sound department. But when compared to other Genesis titles, Jurassic Park is one of the best when it comes to audio.

Playtime/Replayability 7/10: This is surely going to keep you busy for quite some time. Even after you beat it, it's still fun to go back and play it every once in a while. After you beat the game though, there's really not much else you can do with it.

Rent or Buy? If you like the movies, then you should buy this game. I don't know where you'd be able to rent this, so you might as well pick it up at a game trader.

In my opinion, Jurassic Park is the best game for the Sega Genesis. It has it all: great gameplay, nice challenge, good graphics and sound, velociraptors, many various types of firearms...

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/03, Updated 05/09/03