Review by DRAGON_STOUT

"Certainly a historical piece, but not a personal favourite of mine..."

I don't know of many kids, but I'm sure that most kids alive during the 1990's are aware if not familiar with the gaming franchise of Mortal Kombat. If anything, it has been mentioned pop culture type things like in Billy Madison. Those of you who aren't familiar with it are probably quite young or maybe too old and/or unpopular. From what I know of it, it was a very successful arcade game in the early 90's and is also historic due to its revolutionary gorey content (i.e. the fatality system and the blood in general you see in later instalments.) The ESRB rating system was basically created due to this specific concern. Anyway, without further ado, here comes the reviewing.

Probably the weakest aspect of this game is its gameplay for 2 reasons: Right off the bat, the controls are unresponsive and the A.I. is grossly difficult despite other claims. Heck, it may not even be that the CPU is so though, except for the fact that the characters' basic moves suck. You do have some interesting characters, though. You have some Chinese ninja characters (Scorpion, and Sub-Zero,) and a Chinaman (Liu Kang,) a Japanese deity [Rayden(kind of similar to Thor from Norse mythology,)] an aerobics-instructor girl (Sonya,) et cetera...

...some of the temples and such that you play in are pretty nice. They actually add quite a bit to the whole Kung Fu culture thing in my opinion. Unfortunately, there isn't much philosophical content, but you can't expect somebody like David Carradine to be in everything Kung Fu related.

The graphics are good enough, but personally make me somewhat cringe due to the different mediums. You have digital characters, and non-digital-type environs. All I can say is--yucky! Sort of reminds me of the King of Fighters franchise a little bit.

The sound is probably the strongest aspect. You have some pretty decent martial, Asian rock-type music, but the SFX are kind of weak for me. Specifically, the voices, but they do kind of grow on you, in a sense.

Worth checking out for historical buffs, but not for everybody. I remember playing the sequel first when I was 7 or 8 years old. I really liked it, but now I know that it is kind of a weak 2D fighter. That game did improve the shoddy gameplay aspects a bit, I think, but the games after that one are pretty forgettable in my opinion. Don't buy 'da hype, duders.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/07

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 09/13/93)