Review by SuperMarioBro

"Mortal Monday had betrayed us."

The day was Mortal Monday. It was a sad day for me, because every port that came out that day had really bad issues with them. In this review I'll explain the issues of Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis.

Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis is not what it could have been, in fact as a Mortal Kombat fan I was outraged on how bad a port this game is, and I'll tell you why in this review.

You may think I'm saying this because this is the Sega Genesis, but I am truly disappointed at these Graphics, why?

1. These look NOTHING as good as the Arcade fighter I remember.
2. You gotta activate the blood with the DULLARD code, but then again, the blood isn't as good as I thought it should be.
3. There are games on the Genesis that has better graphics than this.
4. It's not even funny how slow the animation and/or framerate is.

Sorry Probe entertainment, you or Acclaim could perfect the Arcade game in your ports for systems. Too bad you had issues that made it a humiliating project to work on.

But not all is bad, the backgrounds were pretty cool to look at, and some of the fighters sported some good fatalities with DULLARD enabled, but they weren't what they could have been.

Some people say that the music is better than the SNES Mortal Kombat, but putting that statement to a fact, and they would be wrong. SNES had more channels of sound and music than the Genesis did. But opinion wise you can say whatever you want to. But the Genesis had some tunes that sounded cool and funky, in a good way.

I know that the music was not as good as it should be but with its limited number of sound channels, you can't really recreate the arcade experience. The music would fit better in a Street Fighter 2 port if it were made for Genesis. But the sounds, ugh, If I were not such a good reviewer I would have not even want to talk about this. But those of you waiting to see if you wanna buy this game for Nostalgia's sake, you're gonna be warned. The sounds are choppy, muddy, and if you didn't have good hearing you may not understand the words. The Finish Him/Her was not the joyful words I heard while eating cheese fries in the arcade waiting in line. Instead it sounds like someone is drinking salt water and trying to say it. I could go on and on about the sound, but you want to know about the gameplay right? OK then.

Gameplay: 6.5/10

Possibly the best part of this game, and I’m being nice. First before you even play this game activate the DULLARD code and enable the blood. If you have a 3-button controller on the Genesis, you are screwed because you need a 6-button controller to be able to use all the buttons, unless you like using a few punches and a kick.

The fighting system is basically the same as before, except with some flaws, the framerate is bloody slow, the AI doesn’t have to use a controller, so it will most likely whoop you, and the sounds and graphics might distract you and ruin the gameplay.

Summary: 4/10 (not an average)

Everyone felt betrayed by the game makers on Mortal Monday, mostly SNES owners. The Genesis version isn’t that bad of a game, but enough flaws make it a sad port. If you wanna buy this game for the heck of it or if you are new to the series, be careful of what to expect. If you wanna buy this game for Nostalgia’s sake or need it to help build up your Mortal Kombat collection go ahead, I got no problem.

Sorry but this game just doesn’t cut the mustard, or the carrots, or the tomatoes or onions, in fact it doesn’t even cut a lima bean. Until another review, see you later.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 04/15/04