Review by Cactuar

"Great game for the Genesis."

Shining Force 2 is a mixture of a strategy and a Role Playing Game, I think that this is one of the best Genesis games, I highly recommend that you buy it if you have a Genesis and you like strategy/RPG games.

Game Play:10- Simply terrific, this is one of the Genesis's best games, as I mentioned earlier, this is a strategy game mixed with Role Playing elements, you level up,and you must buy new equipment for you and your allies. You can recruit about 30 different people, and there are many,many different types of classes, such as Fighter to Hero, Mage to Sorcerer, Archer to Bow Knight, and so on.

Story:8- The story starts out with a rat and two other men entering some old ruins during a pretty heavy storm, the rat and the two men search the place for some sort of treasure. The eventually make their way to a lower floor where the find the treasure, which are two crystals. The two men try with all their might to remove the two crystals, but fail. The rat tries and succeeds in removing the crystals. The scene then switches to the king's throne room, a deom appears then the kings falls unconscious.

Music-9-This game has excellent music, none of it gets bothersome or annoying, although it can be really cheesy at times. There are many different sets of music in this game, appropriately fit for each part of the game, whether it be in battle, or in a castle or village. The sound effects aren't much to complain about either, I can't really say much about this, but I think that they are pretty good, nothing really too annoying, but nothing too spectacular.

Video:8- Nothing too great, nothing too bad. The graphics are above average, the maps are well done, and the battles are fully animated (Well, not that much, but they still are.)with each character and monster having unique attacking motions. Most of the important characters have their own portraits as they talk, some of them look really cheesy though (Like King Granseal and Lemon).

Replayability: 9- Always good to play again. You may have missed a character or a special item that could make a more powerful weapon. You can also level up your characters at their first rank even more. I think the highest level you can reach on your first rank is 30. Increasing your rank at a higher level means that you will be more powerful in the long run, but at the same time harder since you'll have weaker equipment. There's also a code to play as enemies, cheap but it can be a lot of fun.

Final Score: 8.8=9