Review by Nivla

"The Sega Genesis did not do so well in the battle of the consoles, but this game rocked!! And still does!!"

When it comes to an old system such as the Sega Genesis, there arn't too many great, not even good games. However, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the very rare exception. In fact, I would say Sonic 2 is one of the best video games ever, and I'm not joking or exagerating. After all the great games on Playstation, and the release of PlayStation 2, I still play this game today, and with good reason.

The good doctor is back, and as evil as ever (that sounded lame, but you get my point, eh?). He is turning all your animal friends into mindless robots (again). And when evil is around, Sonic the Hedgehog can be found (hey! That rhymes! Cool!). But the new addition from the previous Sonic game is his sidekick, Tails. Now, two players can team up and take on the evil Dr. Robotnik.

The game is a sidescroller, which means it's another easy gameplay. All players have to do is jump from platform to platform, killing enemy robot at their leisure, and taking out the Doc at the end of each level. Players attack by making Sonic spin, which can be done in a variaty of ways. Sonic collects rings, and when he is hit, he loses all his rings, and he must restart his collection all over again. This is what seperates Sonic from all the other platform games. It gives the player many chances to redeem himself/herself after getting hit. If Sonic has at least one ring in his posession, he will not die when he gets hit. The game offers a mild scaling difficulty and a not so steep learning curve. This game is great for beginners, as well as veterans. The last boss is quite a challenge, so don't expect a ''walk in the park''. The controlls are the easiest I have ever seen in a platform game. Players don't have to master many different button combinations as seen in Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). Instead, all three buttons on the genesis controller do the same thing, and that is jump. The directional buttons move Sonic. And that's about it. Oh, and I forgot to mension, Sonic is much faster in this game. So try your best to keep up.

The graphics are quite nice. The backgrounds are nicely done. The characters look much better then they did in the original Sonic the Hedgehog. The character animations are a lot smoother. Also, I like how Dr. Robotnik is done at the end of each level. His movements are so slick, and the weapons he uses look very painful. The audio is very well done. Amazingly enough, I find the audio to be better then some heard on the PlayStation (not a lot, but some nonetheless). The tunes are all very catchy, and the sounds are all so very well done.

The fun factor is very high, much higher then the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Mainly because of the two player mode. Another reason why is there are so many levels, some of them are huge and can take you quite a while to explore. The replay value is slightly below average. Once you complete the game, there really is not much more to do. You've seen it all.

Overall, this is a really good game. One of the best sidescrollers. Even though the Genesis did not fare well in the battle of the consoles, this game definatley deserves all the attention it can possibly get.

FINAL RANKINGS: