Review by Stinger

"The Best of the Sonic Games"

Sonic the Hedgehog is Sega's "Mario," in a way. It's kind of like their main chacter, the one that has games that satnd out above all the others'. The Sonic series for Genesis is great, and my favorite would have to be the second one. It was improved since the first Sonic game, yet they didn't try too hard to make it and completely mess it up like they did with Sonic 3.

What can I say besides, 'The graphics in this game are magnificent?' Remember, Sonic 2 is played on a 16-bit Genesis console. Sonic is one of the coolest looking characters, even though we can't see him in full 3-D. You can also tell that Tails took a lot of hard work and effort to create. The shape and figure of both main characters are phenominal; I couldn't ask for anything more. Their colors fit them and express them perfectly and there are no errors with the graphics in the game unless of course, you have a messes up cartride. Also, the enemies (specifically Dr. Robotnik) all look fantastic. And I still haven't gotten to the best part of the graphics: The levels. The background and scenery in each level is simply awesome. All of the levels graphics are things you've never seen before. You have cool outdoor levels like the emerald Hill Zone to the Hill Top Zone. Then you have the tremendous looking indoor levels like the Chemical Plant and Metropolis. And if you think these are good, I won't even mention Mystic Cave Zone!

This is the most creative and original game you'll find in the Sonic series, and possibly in all other games for other systems. There are a total of about 30 levels in the game, all with a boss after every 2 or 3. The concept is simple: Collect rings to keep yourself alive. The button controls are simple; you have move, jump, and pause. So seeing that the gameplay is so simple, you probably say, "This game sounds horrible." But that's where you're wrong; the gameplay is fun, different, and the coolest thing you'll see on the Genesis console!

I'll have to admit, the story line is one of the game's weak points. You are Sonic the Hedgehog and your best friend is Miles the fox, aka Tails. The evil Dr. Robotnik is going around and collecting these animals. He's keeping them trapped and taking away their freedom! It is up to you to save the hostaged animals after every few levels or so, and get rid of Dr. Robotnik for good at the end of the game. The story could be better, but what do you expect when the game's main character is a Hedgehog?

In conclusion, Sonic 2 is the best game I have ever played for Sega Genesis. It will only give you a limited amount of playing hours (5 or 6 maybe), but it is simple and fun. The controls and story are original; it's not a rip off of another game. The graphics are so awesome, you'll think that the system is a 32-bit if no one tells you. Believe it or not, I think that Sonic could soon have everyone saying, "Mario who?" even though I may not like it myself......

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 09/29/01