Review by CHRISMC64

"Speeding Out Of My Good Books"

I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my Sega Mega Drive. I absolutely loved it and it was the only game which could tear me from my SNES at the time. However, times change and when I downloaded Sonic the Hedgehog 2 onto my Virtual Console I was sorely disappointed in myself.

Graphics - 8/10

We'll start on a positive. The graphics in this game are very good. There are some good sprites and the frame-rate remains good even when Sonic is moving his fastest. The game is colourful and the backgrounds are interesting as well. The areas are each different too. You start in a coastal area, moving then into an industrial setting, then into submerged ruins, each bringing its own unique look and style.

Sound - 8/10

Sonic games boast some of the best soundtracks in gaming and Sonic 2 is no exception. The level themes in this game are all great and will stick in your head for days, if not months. The delightful tunes make playing this game much more enjoyable.

Sound effects are good too. They may sound a little unusual but they each do their job well and make this game pleasing for the ears.

Game play 5/10

This is where the game trips up in my opinion. When I was 4 years old, the age when I first played this, I thought this game was amazing. Looking back now, I see that was only because I was so young and mystified by what was on screen. This game isn't particularly good. Control-wise, you can use just the Wii Remote on its side, which is a good method of control. However, Sonic's jumps sometimes feel sluggish, which is not good.

The level design is questionable too. Sometimes, it seems as though the levels were thrown together at random. Ill placed enemies, jumps which are too high and the fact they are all a bit short combine to make the game tedious and frustrating.

Summary

Playing this game makes me angry. Angry at the game for being worse than I remember. Angry at myself for ever having liked it. Angry that I spent 800 Wii Points on this and not Streets of Rage.

If you're thinking of downloading this game, don't unless you're a die hard Sonic fan. That is my simple advice. The game can be good at times but the negatives outweigh the positives too much to make this worth 800 Wii Points. Sonic, you disappoint me greatly.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/26/07