Review by JordanM

"Super Speed, Super Game, Super Sequel"

When I first tried out this game, I was worried that it would be "just another sequel." After all, how could you match the beauty of the first game? I'll be the first to admit, I was surprised. Not only is this game a sequel, but it's just as good (if not, better) than the original game on the Sega Genesis. Here's why:

The game is the same concept as the first game: Go through various "Zones" and their "Acts" to battle Dr. Robotnik. Beat him, move on to the next zone. A variation between this game and the original; however, is the fact that this game has two acts to every zone instead of three. This makes it nice, since your scenery changes a lot more often. But don't worry: there are plenty of levels to keep you busy. Sonic still moves at extreme speeds (Of course he does, because he's the famous super-fast hedgehog!), but this time he's got a partner. This game introduces Miles "Tails" Prower to the series. Tails is a squirrel that follows Sonic around and helps him out by occasionally hitting an enemy. He basically does what Sonic does. If Sonic jumps, Tails jumps a half second later. This really comes in handy at times. Especially since damage that Tails takes doesn't count off of Sonic!

The graphics in this game are about the same as the original game. It still has that classic, colorful feel that many games lack in. Again, this game's graphics are an art style all their own. Very incredible. If I remember right, this game's technical specifications say that it is designed with a larger color palette. So, in parts, the game is actually more colorful then the original Sonic game.

The music in this game is a classic! Several levels will have you dancing rather then playing the game. Many gamers have said that this game has the best music in the series. I'll admit I'm one of those gamers.

This game can take about 2 hours to beat IF you know what you're doing. If not, you'll be at it a while. It was designed to be played over and over again. You can beat it countless times and it'll never get old!

My final recommendation: If you see this game up for sale and you have a Sega Genesis, BUY IT! It's a fantastic game that even non-gamers can appreciate. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/17/07

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (US, 11/24/92)