Review by Ali_X_Rexus

"Fast, fast, faster, weeeeeeee"

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is one of my nostlagic moments in gaming, since I remember playing this a lot during my childhood years. Everyone knows Sonic, and everyone knows that his roots and beginnings are much better than his current escapades--don't get me wrong, the 3-D Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advenure 2 were arguable fun titles, but what came after was mostly horrid titles that blemish the Sonic name.

Sonic 2 introduces everyone's favorite mutated fox Miles "Tails" Prower. Dr. Robotnik/Eggman is here as the game's mainstay villian, and he's out to get all the Chaos Emeralds to power up his Death Egg. It also doesn't bother him to have an army made from the island's locales turned to robots.

This high-speed platformer is divided into game zones, taking you from lava craters to green lands filled with dinosaurs. Most of the Zones are made up of two acts in which you face a boss in the second act. The bosses are Robotnik in a new mechanical contraption each time you meet up with him. It starts off with a simple driller and traverses into bigger more challenging machinas.

Sonic's goal is to clear an act in less that 10 minutes, mostly going from left to right. What makes Sonic special? I doubt anyone asked that, since the obvious answer is speed. You can never get enough speed, and my most memorable times with the title are when my eyes started tearing as Sonic went off-screen from a speedy slope filled with arrow boosts.

Simplistic in its nature, the speed makes it addictive. Sonic dies when he takes a hit when he has 0 rings left. You collect rings throughout acts, and if you take a hit, you're down to zero rings; however, you can grab to some of your lost rings before they completely vanish after taking a hit, so you're more bound to die from falls/drowning/getting crushed.

Speaking of drowning, the water stages are boring, since this game's main emphasis is speed, not wading in slow waters. However, there is an exception to this IMO, in the wonderful famous casino level. In these stages, Sonic is capable of starting a slot machine after you place him in a socket in the air. You can get plenty of rings and 1ups from these, and it tends to be an addiction, especially with the great music for the act.

So, despite a few blemishes and a short game (aren't most platformers of old?), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with its amazing speeds and lovely characters finds itself a warm spot in today's techy gaming world.

Pros

+Soundtrack
+Miles
+Robotnik machines
+Level design
+Powerups, especially the
+Speed boots, that make an amazingly fast game even faster
+SPPPEEEDDDDDDDD

Cons

-Water sections
-Some levels tend to drag

Story - 5

Lifespan - 5

Overall - 8

Run run runnnnnnnnnnnn

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/08

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (US, 11/24/92)