Review by BenhTheMan

"Sonic is back, but this time he brought a friend."

Let me begin by saying in Sonic 2, Sega brought a new character in, and even though he is a great character, I found him to be pointless in Sonic 2. I will go more depth with Tails in the game play section. Sonic 2 is probably my favorite out of Sonic 1-3 though, it's gameplay is fun and challenging, the soundtrack in this game is awesome as well, and with that lets begin.

Story 10/10
Dr. Eggman or Robotnik whatever you prefer is at it again, and it's up to Sonic…….and Tails to stop him. What exactly is Eggman planning? Well I can't tell you, because I don't know, it is kind of hard to tell what's going on when there is no dialogue.

Graphics 10/10
The graphics for Sonic 2 really improved from Sonic 1 and are amazing on the Genesis. Enemies, and bosses are nicely detailed, and the backgrounds are gorgeous for a 16 bit game.

Music 10/10
Sonic 2 has one of the greatest 16-bit soundtracks ever in my opinion, the music just captures you right when you begin in Emerald Hill Zone and just gets better when you get to the metropolis, and sky chase zone. Just like any Sonic game really, the tunes are catchy and fit the scenery. Don't be surprised if you find yourself humming along.

Game Play 10/10
The game play is challenging but addicting, flying through levels, smashing Eggman's robots. It all seems pretty easy, however Sonic 2 is a platformer which means you need to slow down and time jumps; however going through levels at neck break speed doesn't really make it easy. There is a chaos emerald added in this game making 7 chaos emeralds instead of 6. To collect the chaos emeralds, I believe you need at least 50 rings and when you pass through a checkpoint a red ring warp will appear above it, touch it and you will be warped to a special stage where you will need to collect a certain amount of rings to obtain the chaos emerald, I found these special stages to be hard, but extremely fun and addicting. There is a two player mode; however, I never tried it so I don't know how good it is. Super Sonic was also first introduced in this game. once you collect all seven chaos emeralds, collect 50 rings; and push the jump button. Heh I think you can guess what happens next. Now Like I said earlier I found Tails to be useless, unless of course you were playing two players, or playing as Tails; but who in there right mind would play as Tails? We want super sonic speed! (Sorry Tails Fans). But in one player mode Tails wasn't even on the screen half the time, and in the special stages he would always end up getting hit. You would have to jump with Sonic and then about 1-2 seconds later Tails would jump, same thing with moving when you would move sonic to the left it would take about 1 or 2 seconds for Tails to move, and I believe the special stages would have been challenging enough without that. Then if Sonic got hit it would put Tails in front, making it even harder for you to collect the rings. When this happened I was always saying, Tails get out of the way I'm trying to collect a chaos emerald here!!!! So in this game I ended up getting more annoyed at him then enjoying him. I didn't realize you could change who you wanted to play as until after I completed the game. So make sure you go to options and either play as Sonic or Tails, not both. It will make the game not as frustrating, when it comes to collecting chaos emeralds. Anyways, there is my rant on Tails.

With Sonic 2 coming out the year after Sonic 1, there's no doubt Sonic gave Mario a run for his money back in the day. If you never played a Sonic game before, or only played some of his other games and don't think they are all that great, play this game, well not just this game play his other games for the Genesis as well, even if you have to download them, you won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/23/08, Updated 12/26/08

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (US, 11/24/92)